Would you be ok with this?

Are you ok or would you be ok with your young teen (13-15) riding with a older teen who has her or his license? How about with several teens in the car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I allow it for specific reasons and with specific older teens. My daughter isn't supposed to just hop into a car with just anyone. She hasn't yet, so that's good.

Usually, she rides with a kid on speech team to a party, then I'll pick her up. Or a kid in theater (often one of the same kids from speech!) will take her to the cast party at Buffalo Wild Wings and bring her home. And I have met these girls and feel comfortable letting my daughter ride with them.

Make certain you meet the driver and feel comfortable with him/her. Make certain your kid has a way to contact you (cell phone) and will respond immediately if you contact him/her (I text, more discreet). And follow your gut. If you don't think you can trust the driver, don't let your kid ride with that one.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• I would, depending on the kids involved. For example, a friend of mine has a teen who is way too easily distracted and has frequently paid attention to the cute girl walking by on the sidewalk and had to slam on the brakes and narrowly avoid hitting the car stopped at the light. I wouldn't let my kid right with him, because I just don't feel it's safe. But there are several teens in our homeschooling group that I might be willing to let my kid ride with, depending on where they were going and when.

I would also want a way to contact my kid, and for him to contact me so that if anything did happen (even if it's as simple as he wants to come home before they're ready), we could be in touch.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:38 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• I would...if I knew the teens involved.

Answer by older at 8:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Here in my state you can only have ONE passenger if you are a teen driver. I would be fine if my daughter was the passenger. She has very responsible friends.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:48 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Depends on the kid who's driving.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• The only teen my 15 yr old is allowed to drive with is her brother. He's had his license since he was 16, is now 18 and VERY responsible
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Depends on who's driving, who else they are with & where they're going.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• You can only have one passenger if you're a teen driver in my state also. I always wanted to know how long the driver had been driving, how many tickets, if any they had had, where they were going etc.

I didn't let them get in the car with anyone who had just gotten their license!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Whether or not I felt okay with it would depend on the situation and the people involved. It's not an automatic no but there's no way to say a blanket "Yes, I'd be okay with it" either.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Eh, not me. I never was comfortable with that simply because I was in a bad car wreck at 15.... my best friend died and I still have those thoughts in my head.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2013