Has anyone taken CeleXa/Citalopram or any other anti depression medication during the third trimester?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and my doctor prescribed me celexa because I've had a history of depression and sever post partum depression with my last pregnancy and I'm starting to have some serious issues.

I have no desire to eat, get out of bed, work or play with my other child. I've also been having issues with anger.

I know I need to the meds but I'm afraid to take them. I'm afraid that they will hurt they baby.

Has anyone taken celexa or another antidepressant during pregnancy (specifically third trimester)? Did it harm the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I did for the exact same reason. No problems from it.
    Anonymous

• I opted not to take it, but what the psychiatrist told me was that in some cases, the risks of not taking antidepressants and being depressed outweighed the risk of the medication to the baby. It sounds as if you may be getting to that point, especially since most of the crucial fetal development is complete. From now on, your baby will primarily be putting on weight for birth and completing some finishing touches on the lungs and digestive tract. If your doctor recommends the medication, I would very strongly consider following the orders.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• What I was told was that yes there's still a few risks to the baby but since you've gone through the first trimesters I'm pretty sure it won't affect the baby much at all.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 9:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2013