What should i get to start a home photography job? its my hobby would like to make more of it

ok my hobby is taking pictures has been for over 15 years.....my question is what should i have to start it as a business? schooling, camera, software etc? i'm a single mom and would like to work from home doing something i love. I have no clue where to start....

ilovemi3boyz

Asked by ilovemi3boyz at 4:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• First thing you need to do is homework. Research the market. Are there a lot of photographers in the area already? What kind of photography do you want to do? Understand that with portraits and weddings your time is often not your own and this is NOT a work from home job; it's a lot of out of the home time.

You also need to find out about business licensing requirements in your town, and how you will handle your taxes.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• I would also call the local schools and see what it actually involes any one can take a pic so it's important to see what makes a great pic and an ok one. Also I'm sure you can talk to local busines owners and see where you need to start
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• What the other ladies said. Also, you'll want business cards and maybe brochures that show the work you are capable of for advertising purposes. But like Gdiamante pointed out, taxes will bite you in the butt. They're de quarterly if you're self-employed, and you have to pay the full 15% Social Security tax, instead of 7.5% out of your paycheck and 7.5% paid by your employer.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Oh. And one more thing. If you're going to run a studio from your home, check the zoning laws to be sure it's allowed. You don't want to have your neighbors file a code enforcement complaint for having people in and out of your home.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2013