do you feel that formula is just as good, or superior to breastmilk?

formula manufacturers have stated that they will NEVER be able to replicate breastmilk. i was just wondering how many people actually think it's just as good, or superior, to breastmilk.

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't believe that it is superior, Breast Milk will always be the best thing for your baby, its the most natural way, and like the manufacturers have said it will never replace breast milk. However, I was unable to breastfeed past a month, and my daughter has done just fine on formula, so I think that it is ALMOST as good as breast milk.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i think if breastfeeding isnt a option then formula is going to do its job of making sure baby is nurished and getting what they need. formulas are alot better then they used to be but they will never be as good as breastmilk. there are lots of things you get from breastmilk that you cant get from formula.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Breastmilk is definitely the best route to go, however, there is nothing wrong with formula. I wasn't able to produce enough milk for my son, so we had to give him formula. If I could have, I would have breastfed, but I tried everything I could and it wasn't happening. I think he'll be just as healthy as he would have been if he had been breastfed!
    Anonymous

• It's not superior by ANY means.

But it DOES WORK. I am a proud exclusive formula feeder. I was fed formula as a baby and so was my mother. We are happy and healthy. If breastfeeding doesn't work for people, formula is a great option. Breastfeeding didn't work for me. So therefore I formula feed.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• do you feel that formula is just as good, or superior to breastmilk?

No.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• No. Breastmilk is best. But that does make it the best choice for everyone? No. Some moms physically can't. Some don't produce enough milk no matter how hard they try. Some can't stand the incredible pain they feel. Some are taking meds that pass through the milk. Some simply find the entire idea disgusting.

Feeding your baby should be a peaceful, calm, happy time. If it is stressful and full of tears, then the baby will be unhappy too and the bond between mother and child won't be as strong as it should be. A loving, supportive mother is the most important thing in a baby's life.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I don't see why anyone would think it's BETTER, since any doctor would tell you that breast milk is the best for your baby. But it's certainly not "evil" like some people seem to think, to feed your child formula. It provides the nutrition that they need, but breastmilk has antibodies that helps keep them from getting sick... But not everyone can breastfeed, so formula is certainly a great 2nd option.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Formula was fine for my child. We used organic formula. I won't state why I did not breastfeed not any one's business. My son was fed and is a healthy child. I was told my son would be less intelligent and unhealthy because he was formula fed. I had no idea when I had my son there was a mommy war going on over how one feeds their child. My son survived and has only been sick one time in 6 1/2 years. He is reading at a 5th grade level and is so very smart. My sister said had I nursed he would have never been sick and would be reading college level. I had hoped she was joking but she is a breast nazi and was serious. I think all mothers should do what they know is best for their individual child. Those who make rude remarks are most likely insecure in their own choices and want you to feel as badly as they do. I ignored the haters and lived my life.

Anonymous

• I don't think the companies even think it's superior. Everyone knows it's not. Formula is out there for mothers and babies who cannot breastfeed - no one else. People are lazy now-a-days though...with everything, even their own children.
    Anonymous

• i would appreciate if we could keep this discussion civil. using the term breast n@zi, is not acceptable. call them passionate, stubborn, lactavist, anything...but that term please.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2009