Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can I sue my landlord?

Hi Mommas. Can you please tell me what you think I should do or what you would do?

I live in the state of CA for what its worth. We have been renting a home since July and our landlord is a complete Slumlord. She is failing to provide heating for my family though we have told her we need a heater, she says she will put one in and doesn't. We still have trash along side of our house and in the back yard from previous tenants that she was to dispose of. She has attempted to build a small room in the back yard that she is refusing to insulate now she didn't pull permits and a neighbor has reported it to code enforcement, we are awaiting for them to come, im sure we will be told to tear it down because we looked at it and it is NOT safe for anyone to even walk around in. I called my landlord today because i have found so many roaches and these little white worms with black heads. This isn't the way i live, I am freaking disgusted, I have four little ones, one crawling, and i'm due in december. The bath tub handles don't turn off all the way. We asked her to repair it and she said "leave it alone" that way your water wont freeze in the winter. I called her today and told her if she doesn't fix these things i am not paying rent and she threatened to turn off our water tomorrow. I am really upset, my kids are 1 year, 3 years, 4 years, and six years. I am due dec. I really don't know what to do. When we were moving in she had other furniture etc here and we didn't get to thoroughly check everything. I don't know what to do. I don't have money to move right now and I just want to get my family out. I'm so angry she is refusing to fix these things! BTW I have my money order made already for rent and put away. I dont want to pay again until she fixes these things. My husband says we will go to court if she tries to evict us but this house has become so deplorable i don't know if the cold is forcing these bugs out or what but I don't want to be here any longer than we have to be. This is just a few of the many things going on.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2013 in Home & Garden

Answers (7)
  • Yes you can Call 211 and find out what services there are available to you or go to a lawyer and first ask you lawyer if they will write a letter to the landlord formally demanding that the property be put in livable order or that the lawyer will pursue it in court. I do not know the laws in Ca. but here you would see no profit from the suit but they would be ordered to fix everything and there is a good amount of fines to pay and the court costs and lawyers fees, which (here) she would have to pay because she is the one losing the battle.

    Answer by Dardenella at 6:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

  • You can sue anyone... she can also sue you if you don't pay your rent. Get some proper legal advise ASAP!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

  • Well she can try and sue me and im sure I can respond with much more than she can. There is a law and im trying to find it about opening a bank account for rent payments only and until the landlord does what she is supposed to she cannot touch it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

  • Call the county heath department. This is above and beyond a code enforcement issue; with vermin and trash, the place is patently unsafe to live. Be aware, it means you'll be moving. So start packing now.

    Answer by gdiamante at 7:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

  • Move

    Answer by louise2 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

  • Get ready to move. hen contact the health department, also the department that enforces city codes. That will get you quicker results than going to court, and probably also get you out of any lease you signed.

    Answer by Ballad at 12:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • Call her and tell her you have the rent money, but are thinking of reporting her to the health department, ask her if she will allow you out of your lease, in lieu of contacting them, use the money to move to a safe environment.
    Why did you move somewhere that wasn't "move in ready"? Is the heat broken or is there no heater?
    I do know that in some case you may be able to deduct repairs from your rent, as long as they are an emergency, such as the trash removal (most likely where the bug are coming from) and having no heat. You need to talk to the housing authority in your area before you pay the rent.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.