I need help wording an email to my boss.

Because of not knowing when my next paycheck will be, I am having to cut any and all costs that I can. I want to send my boss an email telling her that I will not be able to work my normal hours of 8:30-5 with a one hour lunch break but will need to work a modified schedule of 8-3:30 and work through my lunch so that I can avoid after school care costs. Should I state it with a "this is what i am going to do" or more of an "ask permission" even though i can't afford her to say no? My job is the only one being affected by the government shut down in this office and my job that i do will not affect anyone else with my schedule change.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2013 in Money & Work

• Two days of daycare won't make that much of a difference.

It does when you have no paycheck, and it does if she has to pay for the whole week instead of by the day.

I would just be very blunt but polite. "Due to the shutdown situation and lack of paychecks, I am unable to pay for my children's after school care. As a result, I need to change my work hours to ________ until the situation has been resolved. This will not affect anyone else and I will continue to do my job to the same standard as I would if I were working my normal hours. If you have other suggestions, I'm open to them, but my children must be cared for."

If they refuse to work with you and insist you work your normal hours, then it might be time to look for another job, even if you don't want to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I would start out saying "I'm having a scheduling delimma and here is the best solution I've thought of. Then very concisely state your issue and then lay out point by point your solution and how it doesn't adversely affect anyone. End it with a request to please consider it. I wouldn't go into demands. That just puts people on the defense
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• I wouldn't email it. I'd sit down and talk with the boss and say EXACTLY what you've said here.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Ok, I'll give it a shot

Due to the status of my paycheck I will need to temporarily revise my hours from blah blah to blah blah in order to accomodate my children's school schedule as I am unable to pay for their care while I work. I am open to suggestions if you have any ideas. I love my job and will do everything to keep it, but my children must be cared for during these hours.

?

I still think this is an In-Person matter, but if your relationship with your boss is strong enough for e-mail I guess it could work. I'd go for a phone call over an email though if that's possible.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• "Dear Boss,

As you know, I'm not being paid because of the federal shutdown. Since the company is not able to lend me a paycheck until the government situation is resolved, I need to make some changes in order to be able to keep coming to work. Effective Tuesday, I intend to work 8 - 3:30, with no lunch break. If this will be a violation of work rules, then please call me so we can work something out. I will not be able to work past 3:30 or earlier than 8:30 until the budget situation changes."

And polish up your resume. She might just tell you that you're out till the shutdown ends.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Well in my state you legally HAVE to take a lunch after 5 hours of working. Is there a reason you cant TALK in person and see if a compromise can be reached together?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Make sure that whatever you do you state that this is happening BECAUSE of the fact that you will not be getting your paycheck on time. That if he needs you to do so differently then he/she has to figure out a way that you can get your pay.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Wendy nailed it, are you 100% sure you don't have to give notice to after care? We have to give a 2 week notice to start or to stop, I am very sorry that you are going through this :(!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• She will be out of the office for the next two days. Originally, they thought tgey would be able to loan us our paychecks until all of this blew over, however, they decided Friday at 5 they would not do that. I have been scrambling all weekend trying to figure things out. If this shutdown continues any longer I will be forced to look for another job since I do not qualify for unemployment and i am not allowed to get a part time job while inthis current position.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• You don't have to demand, or ask.. just politely say "Instead of my normal hours, I will have to work these until further notice."
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2013