I'm moving out I state with my two kids. My younger sons dad doesn't want me to leave the state but we were never married and he has never given me child support . Is it illegal I Ieave with my son?

Vanessam232

Asked by Vanessam232 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why are you leaving? Is it really better for your son to NOT see his father, who is involved in his life?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Unless moving out of state only consists of moving a short distance away, you ARE taking your son away from his father. Like luv said, most likely if the dad files you will be responsible for getting the child to his dad for visitation.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• but it is his dad and your BF can not take his place.
    you need to make sure that your son sees his dad just as much when you move as he does now. IF you cannot do that then you need to stay where you are.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• So how are you going to work it when you move out of state? Because you are the one moving, you need to make arrangements to get the child to his father. Have you thought about how to accomplish that?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• if he files before you move then you also can not leave.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• I cant tell you when to leave, worst case scenario is he goes to court this week and files.
    If you move and then he decides to file for visitation etc, you will most likely be held responsible for getting his son to him accordign to whatever arrangements the courts set.

I am curious as to why youare moving though? Because you want to, for a better job, family closer to you?
    To take your son from his father and uproot him at the same time is going to cause some emotional issues so you need to prepare yourself..
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• you dont have to file for sole custody, you HAVE sole custody until the dad invokes his rights- IF he does.

I did not have to fight with my DD dad,, we agreed that I woudl come to town every 3 months for atleast a full weekend and he had her from the time he picked her up until the morning we left.

At this point I would truly wait to see what he does, if it is best for your children for you to move then move but make sure he knows if eh wants to see his son you will do your best to accomodate reasonable requests.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• The dad? Why would that change anything, he is still the child's father? He is even an involved father, which is a good thing.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• Did you bother to take either of them to court for child support? If you didn't then their lack of financial support is on you.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2013

• so you had two kids with two financially negligent men and are now uprooting your kids and destroying their stability to be with another man?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2013