HOW can they shut down the Amber Alert System!?! This is SO wrong

Shutting down parks is one thing, but shutting down something that has saved over 600 children has been shut down? This is so wrong to me.
"The Amber alert system, the national missing-child warning program, has been shut off due to the government shutdown", according to the Department of Justice

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 1:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• How can they put people in a position to not be able to feed their families.... Yet they are all still getting paid!! Because they are all assholes and hypocrites!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I read somewhere that this is "shut down by temper tantrum". And shutting down Amber Alert seems to be more proof of that to me. They are choosing to close things because those things will anger and frustrate the populace, not because closing those things will actually save money.

I also read that about 83% of federal workers are still reporting work. That's not a shutdown. It's a dog and pony show. I'm disgusted with the entire bunch of them.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Yet michelle obamas just move site is still up. Yep .
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Weird that the Amber alert system is down, but Letsmove.gov is running pretty smooth. Priorities.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• What a bunch of selfish sons of bitches!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• From the NBC 4 site:

"California Highway Patrol officials told NBC4 that if an Amber Alert is issued in California, authorities will page the media. Messages on freeway signs would need to be ordered by Sacramento, as that program is federally funded, CHP officials said.

It remained unclear Sunday night exactly how the shutdown might otherwise reduce an Amber Alert's effectiveness, if one should be issued during the shutdown."

Answer by gdiamante at 9:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• That's awful. It's also terrible that our food inspectors are not inspecting food imported into the US. So if we have an outbreak b/c of this shutdown & a bunch of people get sick or even die, can we sue the morons who caused this mess?! Oh that's right, we're out of money too. Oh & thanks to them causing the market to be shaky, our 401-K took another hit & gas just jumped up 40 cents a gal- AGAIN! Oh, I'm sooo sick of this crap I could scream!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• The Amber Alert System is up and running....
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/10/07/amber-alert-web-site-down-but-system-still-running/
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2013