Single-mom with possible post partum depression needs advice.

My baby is 8 1/2 mths old, but I think I'm starting to get PPD. My husband is away on deployment, and this isn't new for me, so I thought if be fine. But since its just me taking care of the baby, I haven't had the chance to be away from my baby for more than a couple hours a month. Lately, I've felt more distant from my LO (don't want to play, feel like I'm taking care if someone else's baby, tired all the time) but she's such a good happy baby all day long. At night, it's hard to get her to sleep and I'll just cry out of frustration. I'm just overwhelmed cuz I have no one to help, and I don't know what to do. How can I get help if I can't even get any support or rest?

MilitaryMama77

Asked by MilitaryMama77 at 2:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whether it's postpartum depression or just garden variety situational depression, it sounds like you need help. Have you got any friends or family? Maybe a co-op of military moms who could trade babysitting services so each could get out now and then? A moms' day out program at a church? It won't be good for you or your baby if you go on feeling overwhelmed and frustrated.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• go and talk to your doctor about this. It's important. Your baby needs you to be there for her. Your doc may also be able to point you in the right direction to find someone to take her off your hands and give you a break.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 5:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Also go to your county or state website (Google each) and search the sites for any type of aid they offer moms. You might let the baby fuss at night after doing whatever soothing routine you do at bedtime. Then get into a hot tub/shower with some favorite music on. You desesrve a few moments of quiet each day. Thanks goodness she's a good baby. hug

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• You might try googling mops (mothers of preschoolers) in your area, they offer child care for a couple hours while the moms visit. Or a group for stay at home moms from meetup.org. Just meeting with other moms in similar circumstances can help. And as ballad suggested there are mothers morning out programs at many churches. 2-3 hours a week to yourself could make a huge difference!
    My ex traveled for work when I had my first baby and I remember feeling very lonely at times. Talk to your dr if none of the options above work out or don't help.

Answer by missanc at 9:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• What is going on at night? She is a happy baby during the day, what changes at night. What is her sleep routine?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Hire a sitter for two nights out of the month.
    One night you're going to do adult things (drinks, dinner, go to the movies, attend social events), the other you'll do stuff just for YOU (mani-pedi, massage, zumba, shopping, read a book, take a class).
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• ask doctr
    sabanaabril

Answer by sabanaabril at 6:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• Get out more
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2014