How much sense does this make?

With this government shut down they have stopped scheduling appointments (except for acute issues). To me, and many other people here, including the doctors, this makes zero sense. Pharmacy services are still up and running, as well as lab services, and radiology. The military is still being paid, and the doctors, and techs, and everyone else that isn't civilian (which is the majority, since most of us civilians lost our jobs over a week ago) still have to be at work. So basically they are getting paid for doing less than they did before the shut down. No well visits or sports physicals can be booked, no follow up appointments, no appointments for chronic issues (like my child's immune deficiency or asthma). I had to go to the UC last week for severe chest and back pain (as bad as labor pain), after getting worked up I was told me liver enzymes are elevated. However, because of this whole mess they can't just do an ultrasound right away (which is what the doctor would have done under different circumstances) so she sent me on my way and told me that I needed to go right back to the UC if it happened again, and get labs repeated today. If the labs are worse then I get the ultrasound, but if they haven't have to wait it out until this is over. Good to know that my doctor thinks something is wrong, but it isn't bad enough to "waste" funds just yet.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2013 in Military

• It doesn't make sense. But then again, when is the last time our government ever did anything that actually made sense?

I'm sorry that you're stuck dealing with something being wrong and being unable to do anything about it. :(
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• It makes no sense at all. But the reasons for this shutdown and the things that have been shut down make no sense, either.

Sending you prayers and good wishes for good health, esp. as long as this craziness endures. Hoping you can get the tests and answers you need very soon.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• How are you feeling today, sweetie?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• That makes no sense because you are overseas and access to those facilities is all you have.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• So you are feeling the shut Down over their too?

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I am sorry that you have this stress. ((hugs))

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Dang AF, I am so sorry you are dealing with all of that! That is just stupid!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2013

• It sucks. I'm sorry; I hope you're okay. As for sense, I guess it makes about as much sense as anything else the government has been doing lately.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• :( Hang in there.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I still get random abdominal pain and nausea when I eat, but I still haven't even gotten a call about my lab results. I am hoping that means they are good, but I am calling today to get some answers. They have 72 hours to call, my labs were done 5 days ago.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2013