Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

School...can they just kick us out? HELP

I enrolled my children in school with an address I was moving into. At the last second it fell through. So we now live out of district, My children have been attending that school for a month now. The middle school told me if I get a permit my daughter can stay But the elementary school just told me that my other two daughters can't stay because their Numbers are too high and today is their last day but we can attend the other school in the same district. Can they do this??

The other school district told me when I was going to get released from them is that this school district does this a lot and legally they have to give me 20 days and also since my kids are in the last years at each school that legally they have to stay but when I mentioned this to the school they said that wasn't true. wth??

We just moved here to California from out of state, so to switch the girls again would be detrimental to their health in so many ways. They are already going through so much with the move, it would be too much for them.

what can I do???


Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Schools are able to run because taxpayers pay for the Schools to run & the Teachers to teach. If you live in a district then you (or whomever you would have rented from) pays school taxes. Look at it from a taxpayers point of view, why should I pay for a child who does not live in my district to go to school? I pay $11,000 per year in taxes. Approximately 70% of that is school tax.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • You didn't move, unless you can come up with someone to "allow" you to use their address, as in hook up a phone, electric or cable bill.
    It sucks, but that is why they have districts, so either try to get a 2 week window to keep them where they are, or you are going to have to change the school.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • you can put them in the schools they belong in, there are districts for a reason.

    Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 6:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • Yes, they can do that. The only thing you could do is to appeal the decision to the school board but if the numbers are already high, I doubt they will over turn the decision.

    Children change schools all the time and since it has only been a month, it really isn't going to be that big of a deal. They might like their new school better.

    Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • I would assume that they can do that. I don't know about the 20 days, but it wouldn't hurt to look up transfer information on their school's website. If it states it in their district website that they must give you 20 days notice then you can go to the school with your kids and that portion of their policy printed out for them to read. Then look into what school you need to move your kids to. There are some schools that will allow kids that live in other districts to attend, but they generally aren't the schools you want to send your kids to. Research.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 6:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • You can appeal the decision to the school super but outside of that there is nothing you can do really.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • So, you somehow manage to not pay taxes? Please enlighten us on how that works. I was going to give you a semi-helpful response, but since you just lost your mind, yeah, don't really care to.

    Answer by kmath at 7:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • Kids who have a parent in the military move all the time. They find ways to adapt & fit into their new environments. Your kids won't like it, but they will do just fine at the school in the district where you live. Unless you have a babysitter living in the district where they attend now, you might get lucky w/ a waiver. But due to all the schools' funding having been cut, it's highly unlikely they would do it for any other reason if their numbers are so high.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • Switch them to your own district.

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

  • Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. My aunt had to move her kids for the same reason.

    Answer by Ballad at 9:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2013