Car insurance question after a wreck

DH was in a car accident on Friday. Someone crossed the highway right in front of him, failing to yield to oncoming traffic. pulled out in front of him, and he didn't have time to stop. He's not hurt, but I can't say the same for our van. We haven't had an adjustor out yet. The tow truck driver gave it a 50/50 chance of being totaled.

The other guy's insurance company has already called and left us a message. DH called our agent first, who said to go ahead and call him back. We're supposed to call tomorrow.

This is the first time we've had to deal with another person being at fault. Any ideas why they are calling? Our agent said we should try to get them to cover our deductible. Not sure what else they want.

Thanks for any info.

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 8:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2013 in Health

• I'd call your agent back and tell him to talk to the other company... it's HIS JOB!! I have been in several accidents... never once at fault... and I've never once had to deal with the other drivers insurance. That's your agent & insurance companies job... that's why you pay them!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Be sure to answer only the questions asked. If he does not know a certain answer tell them " I don't know". Write down exactly what happened and keep a log of all your expenses, calls made, calls returned.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Go get the police report and bring it to the other persons insurance. That is what we did. If it is the other persons fault it will say in the report. They will pay for everything. Including a rental car..

Answer by louise2 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• If the other driver pulled out in front of him then it isn't his fault.

Has your husband seen the doctor? medical problems due to accidents can take a bit to come out.

They are probably calling to set up payment for your van. Make sure they cover any expenses of getting it replaced, and I would ask for some pain and suffering as well. Also don't know how old your kids are but if they are young and their carseats were in the car they will most likely have to be replaced, which the other insurance will have to pay for as well.

When someone backed into me(I was sitting waiting to pull out of a parking lot), we also made their insurance pay for a rental car while our's was being fixed.(no pain and suffering because it was more of a fender bender and it was only our door dent that was being rapaired but it still cost $1000)
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I'm glad your husband wasn't injured.
    I agree with tntmom: the other insurance company is likely trying to set up payment. You should NOT have to bring them the police report as that is THEIR job to obtain. They are also responsible to pay for your rental vehicle. It is their client's fault. Had he NOT caused the accident, you wouldn't NEED a rental car.
    Document, document, document. I can not stress this enough. Write down who you talk to, what is said, what time. If they are worth their salt, they are documenting as well.
    I don't understand why your agent said you should try to get them to cover your deductible. YOU SHOULD NOT PAY YOUR DEDUCTIBLE! This is not your fault and therefore the other insurance company should pay it all. You should not have a claim thru your insurance.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I'm telling you that unless you have questions for your agent, you need to leave your insurance company out of this. Why make your rates go up?
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I don't know anything about insurance, but I'm glad your husband is okay!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• So what did the police person say who's fault it is? If your DH rear ended the other driver, it is his fault.

Answer by louise2 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• No, this guy was crossing the highway, failing to yield to oncoming traffic. The cops said we have to wait for 10 days for the ticket to go thru, but DH was definitely not at fault. DH hit the car on the side.
    anng.atlanta

Comment by anng.atlanta (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I edited my post. He didn't rear-end the guy, rather he crossed the road directly in front of DH. DH slammed the brakes and still hit the car going about 25mph. Not a big wreck and the air bags didn't go off. He's not hurt at all or even sore. Thanks for your concerns, tho.

We are paying 20% of the rental, so that's a good idea to get them to cover that.
    anng.atlanta

Comment by anng.atlanta (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2013