How to tell a young child they are dying?

I've been told that my 4 year old daughter is dying of luekemia they told me she was too far alongside to be saved, I cried for awhile before I realized how would I tell my daughter that she's dying?

Emily533

Asked by Emily533 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• Sorry! Can't help you their. I don't think I would tell her right now. I would wait. I really don't think she would understand.

Answer by louise2 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I'm so sorry ...please seek the help of a support group who can help you and your daughter. You need people who have gone thru this to help you. If your religious, please reach out to your church also. Prayers to your precious baby.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I'm so sorry! I can't even imagine how terrible that would be. I guess if you believe in heaven, you could tell her she's going there. Or, maybe, do you have to tell her at all? I mean, perhaps you could just love her up and enjoy every single second you have with her. I don't know.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I agree with what is posted above. Personally I don't think I could have even typed this question.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• OMG I can not imagine. I am so sorry for your family! You need to contact your childrens hospital, they have counselors adn hospice people who know how to help you with this.

I am sick for you, NO parent should have to tell a child this!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• Why tell her at all
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:13 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• ^^why tell her at all? I think even at 4 years old she is going to know something is wrong. I would not come right out and say you are dying but I would tell her the truth as she asks.

Again, there are professionals trained just for this!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I agree with the ladies above. If you are religious then reach out to your clergy. Also reach out to Hospice to help you through these things. I'm so sorry.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I'm so sorry! I can't imagine what you are going through. Please don't attempt this on your own. Reach out to your church or the professionals that are trained in this.

Sending hugs and prayers your way
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2013

• I'm so sorry.

~hugs~

I'm going to assume she's at a children's hospital. Talk to the hospital. They are prepared to deal with this and they are very good. Trust me. I have first hand experience.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2013