When is it cold enough for jackets/coats at the bus stop?

Hi all, I know this may seem like an obvious question but some other parents and I were having a "debate" about this. It was around 45 degrees and windy in the morning but expected to heat up to around 60 later. I had my kids in light jackets with a sweater underneath but the other kids had either nothing at all or a thin hoodie. They said that I was overdressing my kids b/c their body temp is higher than adults but I feel like under 60 is jacket weather for kids. What do you think?

CammyJ1

Asked by CammyJ1 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think you're the parent and whatever YOU decide for YOUR kids is what goes.

If my husband had his way, the kids would not need a winter coat all year, just because HE runs hot and doesn't wear a coat in 30 below weather.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Lol we're California wimps. It was 65 the other morning and I had my son in a sweater. He's been in shorts pretty much every day so far this year but if the high doesn't hit at least 70 he's in jeans. In our defense, it's been in the upper 80s/low 90s since June so anything below 70 feels cooooold.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I'd rather that my daughter has a jacket and doesn't need it instead of not having one and wishing she did. But I get cold easily.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• This is a tricky question for me. I tend to not wear a coat or sweater unless it is under 40 degrees...and usually not until it hits you can see your breath. When my oldest was little, there were times I didn't think he needed a coat and only realized it later when all the other kids were wearing theirs. Now I err on the side of caution and make sure they have a something warm if it is under 50 and sometimes higher if it is windy or damp out. It has been cold lately, so my boys have been wearing a long sleeve shirt and a light jacket.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• It's all about layers and knowing when recess is.

Last year, my son had morning recess, so I made him dress more warmly sooner. This year, he has afternoon recess, so it's only about now that I'm insisting on a jacket in the mornings. (I drive him to school.)

I insist that he HAS a jacket if it's going to be lower than 70 at recess (jackets get heavier as temps drop). Whether he wears it is his call, but if he chooses not to, I don't want to hear any complaints about being cold.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• It depends on the age of the child. My 3 and 4 yo's wear jackets/coats at 45, but my 13 yo is fine in a hoodie. And to me, his hoodies are as warm as most jackets.

Answer by missanc at 6:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Depends on the kid and other weather conditions like wind chill and air moisture. DS is pretty good at determining when he needs a jacket and when he doesn't.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Layers layers layers. I would have done the same. I let my kids decide what they want as far as jackets. If they complain of the cold add another layer. I've sent kids to school in winter jackets only to have them come home in just a polo shirt. No big deal. If your child complains of being too warm then remove a layer. The other kids wear what they are comfortable with and your child wears what he/she is comfortable in.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• 60 & under a jacket or coat depending on how cold it is. I try to put the lightest jacket or coat on my Son since he gets hot on the bus & gets nauseous riding the bus anyway.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Thanks everybody! I don't know why that convo bothered me so much but you guys have made me feel better, I guess sometimes you need to know you're doing ok as a parent.
    CammyJ1

Comment by CammyJ1 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2013