4 year old with possible strep and stomach pain

My 4 yr old son has been complaining about on and off stomach pain for over a week. It almost seems like he is cramping .....He also had fever. Dr said it looks like strep but did not do a strep test. We started antibiotics. 2 days after antibiotic he stopped having fever. But he still has stomach cramps even on day 4 of amoxicillin. Is is common to have these crams with strep? Please advice.

tarlena

Asked by tarlena at 1:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Amoxicillin can cause diarrhea if that's what you're asking.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Antibiotics can cause stmachcramps and diarrhea. Why didn't the doctor do a strep test before prescribing Amoxycillin?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Consider that the two problems might be totally unrelated. Is he constipated?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 2:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• You know I just looked it up and abdominal cramps is at the top of amoxicillin's common side effects list. Call your prescribing doctor and see what he recommends for the cramping. I'm all for following a doctor's orders, but I would never accept a medication without them having done a strep test to make sure it was even necessary. Like goldpandora said the cramps might be unrelated to the strep or even the medication. Follow up with the doctor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• You need to take him back to the doctor, if the strep went on longer than you know, it can cause stomach problems, please take him back in.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Back to the doctor you go.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Thank you all. I dont know why the doctor did nit do a strep test. Will ask her. He does not have diarrhea
    tarlena

Comment by tarlena (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2013