Homeowners with dogs: Inside or outside & what breed?

Thinking of getting a dog for our child. DH would want it outside. What breeds are best suited for outdoors and good with children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2013 in Pets

• Why would you even have a dog if it has to live outside all the time?? We had a Yellow lab... AWESOME with kids!! I would NEVER let them live outside full time... to many weather extremes! If you won't make your kid live outside why would you do that to a dog ;o(
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I would never have a dog that has to live outside. How about you build your dh a cage and small house and have him try it out for a few weeks. Anyways we have a Maltese & he sleeps indoors usually with one of the kids.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• We have a lab/chow mix who just loves children, and lets them do whatever they wan to him....even though our own kids are grown. He's very patient awith nd protective of little ones.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I'd get one that can live indoors, because if it's outdoors and your child is indoors then why bother. You want a pet and that means lots of human contact. Anyway here are my recommendations. A Poodle. Standard size as mini poodles tend to be skittish around children. A Miniature Schnauzer. They are sturdy animals who can tolerate rambunctious kids. Bichon Frise. They require regular exercise, but not a lot of room. Finally a Chinese Crested. They do well in families with small children. The best thing is all these breeds are also low dander making it comfortable to own them even if you might be allergic. Though really it should only be outside for exercise and bathroom needs.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I agree with all the other mom's. Why get a dog if it's outside. My dh made me put our's outside for about one week. He loved him, he just said he was too big for our small house. We have about a 1200 sf house and our dog is a golden retriever. I told him he was either coming back in or we were going to find him another home that would. Like I said he was inside after a week, in our small house. Lol.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Poor doggie. :(
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 8:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• We always had outdoor dogs. I don't live in an area of the country where there are weather extremes and as a child it encouraged me to spend more time outdoors to be with my dog. My preference is for mixed breeds, shelters are great places to look! Breed types will depend on exactly what size/type of dog you want, but the people at the shelter can help guide you.

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Where would you keep it outside? Where do you live? Dogs are social animals, and being outside all the time alone, isn't good for them. Now if you live on a farm with a nice warm barn, that is a different story.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Our shepherd mix is an inside dog. She's part of the family. She does fine. More than fine, she's a great house dog.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• We have Chihuahuas. They certainly are not an outdoor breed of dog by any stretch of the imagination. I personally don't think dogs or cats should live outdoors. What's the point of having one? I would put your foot down and tell your husband that it will be living indoors. A pet is supposed to be a member of the family, not something that you put outside because it may get fur in your home.

If you are going to get a dog, I would look at your local animal shelter or find a breed rescue organization (if you are looking for a particular breed) and adopt a dog. I do advice not having the dog live outdoors though, tell hubby that he's more than welcome to live in a doghouse.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2013