would cutting out my 3year olds nap help her sleep through the night?

My three year old has been waking up some times more than a 10 times a night, some times she wants to be tucked in or a drink of water and other times shes just ready to get up for the day in the wee hours of the morning 2 or 3 am. She falls asleep fine with the normal "read me a nother story" but then she always gets up hours later, she sleeps from 7:30 8pm to 6 or 7am. She is still going down for naps most days without much fight, but she's gone from napping for 2 - 2 1/2 hours down to 45 minits to an hour, I feel like neither of us are getting enough sleep at night, I'm concidering trying anything at this point, would cutting out her naps help her sleep through the night? any suggestions much welcome, please help.

deliriousmommy

Asked by deliriousmommy at 12:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old no longer takes naps during the day unless he's very tired and he sleeps through the night. Maybe you could amp up the activity during the day so she'll be more tired at night? Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I don't know any 3 year old children that still nap. They outgrow naps, and 3 is too old to be taking them.
    Anonymous

• Yes or no, you won't know until you try. My kids have all given up naps before they turned 2, they sleep 11-12hrs at night. (except the baby)
    abarnes6

Answer by abarnes6 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• When my 3 year old doesn't take a nap, she acts like a hellian until she goes to sleep at night.. and I can barely handle that! I think you should start being a little firm and just tell your kid to go back to bed.. tell her theres no more waking up.. etc. Close her door!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My 3 yo niece and my 3 yo next door neighbor both still need naps. They are very whiny and inconsolable when somthing doesn't go their way. But they both sleep great at night. You can try taking the nap away, or making it a different time during the day and see what happens. You will have to experiment to find what works. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Asa will turn 3 in March and he is still taking nap. However, I have noticed that he doesn't get sleepy til about 2ish and sleeps til 5ish! Then when it is bed time, he is not sleepy. So this past week I have tried to limit the length of his naps or don't let him take a nap at all. So, I guess it all depends on the child.
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 12:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yes my daughter did hte same thing at 3yrs old. We took out the nap and she began sleeping from 7:30pm - 7am and it was great.
    Shoremom29

Answer by Shoremom29 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My daughter turned 3 in Dec. and still takes a nap everyday. She sleeps anywhere between 2-3 hours and goes to bed 9PM and wakes up at 8AM. And I have noticed on the days that she doesn't get a nap (which are hardly ever) or doesn't get it out that she doesn't sleep as good at night! If she doesn't nap then she is overly tored and restless and it makes it hard for her to go to sleep and stay asleep! I don't know that I would cut the nap out but at this point, you may want to try it!
    Anonymous

• You should probably think about talking to her doctor. He may be able to figure out whats going on. It could possibly be as simple as nightmares though.
    JuicyJuiceKids

Answer by JuicyJuiceKids at 5:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009