Would you rather...? adult content

Have an almost unbearably heavy period every month, or weigh about 8 lbs less?

That's my current dilemma. I went back on the pill about four months ago, because my periods had become BRUTAL. It was so heavy for the first day or two that I would soak through a super plus tampon sometimes in less than an hour. It was so bad that I would occasionally stay home from work on the first day - either that or spend the majority of my work day in the bathroom, and really, what would be the point?

So I went back on the pill. It wasn't so much to prevent pregnancy, because my fiance and I don't have a super active sex life anyway AND he doesn't trust the pill enough to have sex without a condom - so really, that was the furthest thing from my mind when I went back on the pill.

But I very quickly packed on the pounds after going back on it - a side-effect I didn't have when I had been on it before. I've been struggling to lose weight as it is for the past while (I'm not overweight but I want to be in the best shape possible for our wedding next year). I've gained about 8 lbs since going on the pilll. It doesn't sound like a lot, and it probably wouldn't bother me THAT much, except for the fact that the majority of my pants don't fit anymore!

Sigh... this is more of a rant than anything - I know I'd be miserable if I went off the pill to lose the weight and had to deal with those heavy periods again... but I'm just curious what you ladies think? What would you prefer?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2013 in Health

• I'd take the pill--life's too short to be miserable every month--and then see if you can visit a specialist to find out why your periods are so horrific.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• in your case- I'd take the pill.

do you count calories? work out? drink a lot of water?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Has your doctor identified the cause of your horrible periods? Has s/he done an ultrasound? Do you have fibroids? That's what caused very painful, very heavy, very long periods for me. If that's it there are several possible solutions.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 10:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Lysteda controls bleeding

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• As far as I know, my heavy periods are just... bad luck! I'm hoping that when my fiance and I decide to have kids that'll make it better - my periods were never this bad before or after having my son, and didn't get bad until a year or so ago (and he's five now).

Also to answer the first question, yes I work out regularly (or I try to), I do my best to eat well, and I pretty much constantly have water at my desk at work. I fell off the wagon for a bit there (because I was discouraged about not losing any weight) but I'm back to trying hard.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• If you consider your periods to just be bad luck does that mean that your doctor has never done any testing to find out at all?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 2:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2013