Canker Sores!

Over the weekend my 5 year old said the inside of his mouth was sore, so I took a look and saw what looked like a canker sore.

Then oddly enough I realized I had one too, in the same spot! He's never had one before and I haven't for years and years, but that's definitely what it is.

I know salt water helps, and I've also read that aloe juice helps... but I'm curious if you ladies have any other solutions? What works best for you?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2013 in Health

• There are solutions you can buy at the store now that make a protective film over the sore while it heals. They're a bit difficult to put on because you have to keep the spot dry and free of saliva for several seconds, but they're not painful to use on a child.

For myself, I usually get some baking soda on a teaspoon, then dampen my finger and make the soda into a paste and dab it on the sore. It burns like the dickens for a few seconds, but the baking soda neutralize the acid in the mouth and makes the sores heal a whole lot faster than anything else I've ever found. I probably wouldn't give a kid the baking soda treatment because he'd never open his mouth for any kind of first aid again, but it works for grown-ups.

Also, watch your sugar intake. At least for me, eating too much sugar, especially chocolate, is the quickest way to get sores.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Agree with Julie! L-Lysine is the best!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I was told to use salt water with a little baking soda 4-5 times a day.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I use peroxide diluted with water- you can use full strength, I just really don't like the taste lol. Swish for about 2-3 minutes, then spit and brush as usual. Idk why it works, but it does.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2013