2 month old wont take a bottle and I'm back at work

I nursed my baby throughout my maternity leave. We started giving her a bottle twice a day 2 weeks before i went back to work.
Now that I'm back at work she refuses to take a bottle. She will go 8 hours without eating. When my husband tries to give her one she either pushes it out of her mouth and spits the mild out or gets really upset and crys.
I feel like a horrible mother that i cant be there to nurse her.
Any ideas?

Kasey91286

Asked by Kasey91286 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your husband is home with her while you work? Was she taking the bottle before you went back? Is this just happening today? Maybe she is not feeling well? I would say have your husband bring her to you, so you can nurse, and pump and bottle feed her (have your husband while you are there) for the next few days at every feeding.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• The trick is to give the baby your scent. Have your husband wrap her in something you've worn for a few hours. Like your t-shirt or nightgown unwashed of course. She will get used to it, just give her some time.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I agree; scent is a very powerful comfort for little ones. Also, try bottles with different nipple shapes and flow speeds. I went through a zillion different bottles when my daughter was an infant, with limited success, till I found Dr. Brown's. For some reason, those bottles worked perfectly for her, but every baby is different, so you never know what will do the trick.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I agree with the scent tip, BUT... She reverse cycled. That's actually EXCELLENT. She's not starving. If she was starving she'd take the bottle.

In the Breastfeeding Moms group you'll find moms with babies who do the exact same thing. They nurse up a storm when mom is home and are perfectly content all day long as long as no one is trying to stick a rubber nipple in their mouths. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I don't think that she reversed cycled because she doesn't eat much at night either. She would sleep through the night if I didn't wake her up.
    I nurse her twice from 6 - 9 and sometimes she will still be hungry and take a bottle around 9 (not without a fight though).
    they she will sleep until i wake her up to eat at 3 am and have to wake her up again at 7am to nurse before I go to work.
    Kasey91286

Comment by Kasey91286 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• try to feed at night
    sabanaabril

Answer by sabanaabril at 6:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• Yes at night
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2014