Id like opinions on dogs and their shots

I have an 8 week old choc lab/german shepherd/wolf mix.

I know i have to get his rabies shot and i definitely want the parvo shot.

Question is how do you all feel about the other shots and why?

Also, can they get just the parvo shot or is it always the combo with the parvo in it or can you request it?

Feelings about microchipping ?

Just would like some input: )

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2013 in Pets

• The distemper/ parvo combo shots are very important along with the rabies. The only vaccine I will not use is the kennel cough. Your puppy can die from the diseases the distemper/parvo vaccine can prevent.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I fully vax my pets on time. Animal diseases are extremely prevalent. If you plan to take the dog into any kind of environment outside of your home they at some point will be exposed to many of them.

Microchipping saved my cats life. He is an inside cat and he escaped. He was trapped by a neighbor who was trying to eliminate feral cats in the neighborhood. My cat was being an ass and they thought he was one of the feral cats. When he finally calmed down enough they checked him for a microchip. He was minutes away from being put down.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• At 8 weeks you need to take him in for a wellness check, they should de-worm him and then set up a schedule, there isn't that many shots that dogs have to get, and rabies is usually given after a wellness check. I think if you want a healthy dog most of the shots the provide are for them not to get horrible ailments, I suggest that you keep him on a heartworm/flea med. You should call your vet, and discuss it with them.
    I have one of our dogs micro chipped because she is a run away, lol. She is also purebred, and is more likely to be stolen and or kept, our other dog is not micorchipped because he doesn't run off ever, and he wears a tag with our phone number on it just in case. Google spay clinics in your area, they most of the time have some kind of puppy package to help you.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Ps, they don't usually do rabies until 6 months, but most puppies have some kind of worms, so it is very important that you take him in ASAP.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• It's a dog... he needs his shots. It's not like the whole vaccinations vs. autism thingy with a dog. He should also get the kennel cough vaccine.

I've never given much thought about micro chipping because it's kind of expensive, and my dog is never out of my sight.

Something I will suggest though is the once a month pill for fleas and heart worms... My guy takes Trifexis... to me, it's worth the $20.00 a month vs. a house full of fleas...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Watch you are. Here we have $10.00 micro chipping all over the city at least twice a month.
    Labs love to run. "nuff said.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• My dogs are microchipped and fixed. They have all their shots. I get the 6 month heartworm shot because it is easier to remember especially since my vet reminds me.
    I vaccinate my dogs for the same reasons I vaccinated my kids and myself.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• It's part of being a responsible pet owner.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I've decided against microchipping because I don't care for the possible privacy implications the technology holds for human beings. Besides, it's quite expensive.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I do whatever they say he needs. Rabies, worms, etc.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2013