What do you think about beauty pageants?

I thought about putting my daughter in a beauty pageant when she is a little older (she is only 2 now)...I seen an add on Craig's List of one like I would like to put her in...It has 2 sections... one is the typical glitz and glamour of pageants...and the other is natural (no-make up or fancy hair)...That is what I would put my daughter in is the natural I would never put cakey makeup on a little girl or ruin their hair with curling irons and hair spray...And, I would only put her in a pageant that everyone wins something...like her get a little trophy and she could put it up and be able to say I did that...I did something fun...And, I watch Toddlers & Tiaras on TLC...and we could never afford to do the big pageants and big hair and all...that is very time consuming...but anyway just wanted to know what other mommys out there think of pageants..

Briyawna

Asked by Briyawna at 12:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I want to put my DD in them...I've even been looking for a talent agent for her to help her get started. She is also starting dance in a few months. But the first time she tells me she doesnt want to do them anymore she will be done
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I've been answering a lot of questions about this lately. Personally I think they're gross. I am against all pageants, but the child ones especially. I think it sends the wrong messages to little girls about how they are valued.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I would spend the money on sports instead. I think pageants are set up to take money from parents..but hey if you think its fun by all means have fun.

I'm probably over reacting but I would be a little creeped out by people watching my kid.....seen too much Law and order SVU....keeps me paranoid.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Toddlers and Tiarrs is plain sick. Those girls wear more makeup than I do in 32 weeks..oh and how about the fake teeth++++++++++++

If I was to put any of my dd's it would be natural all the
    way......
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I dislike them to the very core of my being
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I'm with you Dannee, I watched that one, and the fake teeth just creeped me out! Little girls are supposed to have missing front teeth! That's what makes them so darn cute!
    I guess it's hard to not still see Jon Benet's face when you think about these things.
    Freightgal

Answer by Freightgal at 12:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Pageants are a blast. I was in several as a child and teen. I had 50k in savings bonds that I get to cash in this year. Some girls moms were a bit psycho the moms were ugly and frumpy and lived through their beautiful daughters. I played sports too and will say the sports parents were far worse than any pageant mom I ever met. Anytime a parent makes the child's activities about them instead of about the child you will have problems.

Anonymous

• I think they are a ridiculous way to teach vanity and sexuality to girls. I think it creates materialistic mindsets.
    Anonymous

• I think anyone who associates pageants with sex is the sick one...Ya those teeth things...the flippers are stupid...I would choose to not let my daughter prance around in a bikini though...I agree that some pageant moms are insane and living their lives though their daughters...That would not be me at all...I don't think I have an once of competitive spirit in me. My daughter will be playing sports too...She will play soccer with the same league as her older brother when she is 3...and ya the money people spend on pageants is crazy...I would never go into debt for something like that...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 1:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

No they don't. I am far from materialistic. The pageants I participated in encouraged girls to do charitable work and be well rounded. As a teen your grades had to be high and participating with charities and other community service organiztions were required. I think many have no clue what most pageants are about. They watch a half hour show on TV about a one circuit of pageants. They find the worst of the pageant moms and present that as how all are.

I see no outrage over sports parents who force their children to play even when they hate it or yell, curse and hit when their child does not do well. I saw much more of that in my sports in high school than I saw in pageants. Sports are more acceptable and people are willing to over look the vile sports parents if the team is winning.
    Anonymous