What is a good punishment for my 12 yr old daughter?

Her and 5 of her girl classmates thought it would be funny to "pants" each other at the end of gym class. all but 1 were wearing shorts under their pants but there was 3 classes in the gym so a lot of kids were able to see. they all received 2 days of in school suspension. what is an appropriate punishment for this?????

jgeister

Asked by jgeister at 8:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I would say since she has such an interest in laundry, she can do the laundry for a week.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• 2 days of in school suspension.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I agree with tempsingl3mom
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• the in school suspension is enough, I think.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I think the suspension and two weeks grounding.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• So one girl wasn't wearing shorts under her pants, and she got humiliated in front of a gym full of kids? I wouldn't have thought the incident was that big of a deal except for that part. I would make my daughter apologize to the mortified girl and write a paragraph about how it would feel to have something like that done to her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• she is already serving the 2 days at school, my parents would have grounded me from something so take her phone or ipod or somtheing for 2 weeks.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I would suggest laundry and don't forget the sheets and the once in a blue moon things that only get washed now and then.
    Blankets need to be at least air dusted for the coming cold weather and the mats and rugs on the floor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• 2 days of in school suspension.

The school handled the situation & let you know about it. I would see this as an opportunity to talk to her candidly.

Let her know your feedback, why you are upset & what you hope she considers about this, how you wish she would choose in the future, etc. Talk to your daughter (make an appeal to her) rather than focusing on punishment. Really reflect on your concerns & feelings before talking to her, and be authentic/open when you talk.

If you respond by punishing you are focusing on trying to control her through force or leverage. Instead, you can focus on making an appeal to her (rather than trying to force anything) which communicates trust, respect & goodwill (belief in her ability to reflect & learn, and choose based on that.) That's what I would want.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• I would not add anything to the school's suspension, but would have a good talk about it. Stay calm and matter of fact. You want communication to be open and frequent.........especially as you head towards the teen years.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2013