When.can you give your puppy.a bath?

Im getting a puppy from a friends mom.and biyfriend. Hes 8 weeks and honestly, its been a pain having to get him. The are making us take him homeevery other day then take him back there the next day so he.can adjust

Imo its makng it worse. We are traning.him to go potty outside and then his settings is thrown off when he goes back and my 4 year old is confused with it too. We grt him fnally on friday though.

Anyway, when can i bathe him? The famiky hes with now, has like 8 dogs and their house is very cluttery and not clean and he judt comes over and is dirty.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2013 in Pets

• When you bring him home. And eight weeks seems too early to me. Anyway... my mom got a dog from a guy and when we went to get her, his house was GROSS. She totally smelled like pee. My mom gave her a bath within an hour of getting her. It took two baths for her to smell okay. I would try to keep the water from her ears if you can.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I do not suggest bathing a puppy until they are at least 4 months old. I would not put up with the situation. Either you take him home or you find a different dog. That is plain ridiculous and bad for the puppy, in my experience. Should the puppy gt absolutely filthy you can bathe earlier but frankly I would take them to a groomer and ask them to show you how to handle the grooming, as in cleaning the ears and trimming the toe nails and brushing.
    You will take the dog to the vet as soon as you have him along with any record of vaccines or worming.
    I suggest following the vet's schedule of vaccinations. Do not forget the heartworm shot or pills.
    Ask the vet all you questions.
    I suggest that you hook up with a vet that has a monthly fee. For the most part it is less painful and less costly in the long run.
    PetSmart has them and others do as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• unless he has feces or something on him I would not bathe him yet. I would wait until he is closer to 12 weeks and even then I would make sure I was using a shampoo especially formulated for puppies. The bottle will indicate what ages they feel are safe for their product. Better yet let your vet recommend you a shampoo.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• You can bath the puppy when you get it. The every other day this is BS. I would just keep it.

Answer by louise2 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I hope you haven't paid for the puppy yet? All this back and forth stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Be sure, when you do bathe the puppy, that you rush him right outside afterward, even still wet in a towel. The water will make him want to pee in a big way, might as well have it out in your yard and not on your bathroom floor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• We did give her 25 that she asked. We know them semi well so she wasnt charging us for the dog, but for the giant bag of food she bought. Once we gave her that, well my fiance did, she said she wanted u to take him 2 more times. I feel its not doing anything but confusing him AND my 4 year old. But we all have fallen in love with him and want him only!

Ut is such a pain and im hoping they dont linger once we have him for good or come back and want to continuously see him you know? We have our lives and want to live our lives, if that makes sense....

As far as the bathing, they foster dogs so there are a lot there and he always reaks of the guys strong cologne and dusty. I guess i could wait
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• you can bathe the dog now. they make puppy shampoo. I don't recommend flea shampoo until around 4 months but puppy shampoo is fine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I bathed mine right away!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Did you sign something saying you would do this? Otherwise, I would stop taking the pup back. It will adjust better if you stop doing that. As far as the bath you can definantly give it now
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2013