Am I over reacting?

So I guess you all heard about the woman in USA last week who got shot dead in her car, forgive me but I don't know the whole story but from what I've heard she was suffering from post natal depression, and acting irrationally outside the White House (is this right?)
Any how, we were at the in laws a few nights back and MIL made comments, I'm currently pregnant, and she basically said 'oh we better keep an eye on kylie after this new baby's born, that woman in America was suffering with postnatal depression you know, so if you see kylie driving around acting suspicious call the authorities hahaha!'
Now I was gobsmacked for 2 reasons. Firstly, a woman died, so why joke about it? Secondly I actually recently finished being treated for depression, I'm sure if she's aware of this, but either way, it's kind of a cheap shot don't you think?
I bit my tongue, smiled and said nothing. No idea how to bring this up with DH, who was actually there at the time and said nothing.
Am I crazy or should I let this go over my head?

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 9:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• I wouldn't let it go over your head. That was a slap in the face and she tried to hide it behind sarcasm. It was a total cheap shot.

I have a family member that is going through some very difficult post partum depression and is being treated for it. She is lucky and courageous that she recognized what she was feeling was irrational and sought help from medical professionals, even though it made her feel even worse for the time being. That is totally not something to joke about.

If it were me, and because it's after the fact, I would tell my husband that he better stick up for me when his family or anyone else for that matter makes a crappy comment like that. I would also have to realize that I need to stick up for myself as well. I would tell DH that when he see's me stand up for myself, he better have my back or he can sleep at his family's house.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• If it bothers you this much, I would tell my husband that I thought the remarks were insensitive and why. I would not address it with her, because she will only use it against you. His mother, he deals with. Yours, you deal with. It will keep peace in your marriage.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Was that comment totally out of left field for her or is she normally that much of a twat?
    You know the kind, talks without engaging her brain.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• "In law" is a suffix meaning TO BE IGNORED. Practice that from here on out.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I would call her and say, Listen, I know you didn't mean anything by it, but your comment made me feel a bit sensitive because you know I am trying to overcome depression, it isn't any big deal, but the topic made me feel weird.
    I think you don't have to argue with her, just tell her why it made you feel crummy.
    Congrats on the baby!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• You should have spoke up right then and there. To late to do anything about it now. You should say something to your DH , for not sticking up for you.

Answer by louise2 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• It was a bit of a cheap shot, yes, but what do you hope to accomplish by bringing it up? Be very clear about what you want to gain before you poke the hornet's nest. It probably isn't worth the trouble.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• "And once again, Mom, your mouth took off before your brain was in gear"

(for the next time)

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 5:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Dunno why this came up anon, I must have hit it by mistake. kylie_bob btw! I'll try to change itnow
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Feralxat she's normally one to speak without thinking first, but she'll never admit it or apologise later. Even though she's said things before I was still taken aback by this! Think my jaw hit the floor.
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2013