for moms who recently had babies: was your quad screen covered?

I had a bloodtest similar to the quad screen last night (this on called penta, it tests for one more thing) and afterward realized that I don't know if it's covered by my insurance! They offered it to me, it was optional, but they make it sound totally routine. I called my dr office today to ask but the insurance lady isn't in till tomorrow. I called my insurance and she said she can't know if it's covered until they receive the statement for billing. I have blue cross. Anyone have this done and was it covered? If not how much did you have to pay? I hate it that the dr's office doesn't tell us first! I wouldn't have had it done if I have to pay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My quad screen was covered, but I don't know about the test that you are talking about.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I didn't have the quad screen. I didn't see the need. Many insurance companies won't cover it unless you're in an at-risk group (like over 35 or you have a family history of developmental issues).
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I don't know because I didn't have one. That test isn't accurate enough and has a bad track record so I chose not to have it. (only 75% accurate as a screening tool)

My current insurance would cover it...my old one, I don't know.

Call your insurance company.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009