Am I being too sensitive, or would you feel disconnected and insignificant if your adult son sent you a group text to announce the birth of his son?

nonamom

Asked by nonamom at 11:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• Big hugs Mama. It's so hard as they grow up. They don't understand that the way they feel holding that new precious child in their arms, is still the way we feel about them. I don't think you failed at all. Just keep doing what you're doing. Be warm to your DIL, love your son, and welcome that new grandbaby.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Congratulations!

I would probably be hurt as well. Depending on your relationship it would have been much better for him to call you personally, but he probably just got excited and sent a group text out. Was it the most thoughtful way to tell you, no. I would just call and congratulate him ask lots of questions, and make plans to see your grandchild.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Okay, now you are making it about you, not the birth of your grandbaby, pretty dramatic to say you have "failed" as a mother over a text message, I think he wants time to be with his family right now, get in the car, take some flowers and get over it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Congratulations!!
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Well, I guess if you were not there, maybe he just did a text to everyone in his phone? It would be a bit better if you gave us some kind of backstory, do you not get along with him? Do you not live near them? I guess it wouldn't be any big deal to me, and perhaps he just didn't have time to call you at that moment, but wanted everyone to know?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Maybe he's got his hands full taking care of his wife and newborn?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• kids these days, hell even my mom sends us group texts to announce things. It is what it is, call -make a huge deal over baby's arrival and move on
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 11:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I'd give him a chance to get home and get settled before you get upset.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Maybe it wasn't the warmest, fuzziest way to get the news, but you have a brand-new healthy grandchild. Let the rest roll off your back.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• You are being a little over sensitive, but that's ok. Do not assume he has time to make a call. If my hubby had dropped everything to call his mom when our daughter was born I would have been pissed. He could have called a little later as a follow up, but he made sure you knew at least.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2013