Too much homework for a 1st grader?

My son brings home 1-2 sheets of homework every day, plus a book to read to me. Then he's in a separate reading program to get extra help, and brings home 3-4 books and a cut up sentence he has to put together, just for that program. Is it just me or does this seem like a heavy work load for a 1st grader? I don't remember having so much homework when I was this young. But then again maybe times have changed and I baby my son too much haha

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It does not sound like alot.

Keep encouraging him to read even on weekends.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• 3-4 books that he is supposed to read every night? Everything else sounds exactly like what my youngest had last year, on top of it, they were supposed to read a couple of extra books a week for the reading club. I assume they are just small books? Our school has a 20 minute per grade average for homework, so that seems about right to me.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• That's not a lot.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• How long is it taking him? Does he get frustrated, or are you more worried about it than he is?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Doesn't sound like that much, except for the reading. If he is being forced to read over 30 or so min a night, I would have a problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• That sounds normal. The extra is jus that. So you count what every one else has as your basis of comparison. The extra is not countable as normal home work.
    Still it is not that much.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• My dd only has like 4 assignments to do. It's written on the homework sheet as 1 per day of the week,,, so far who knows if it will change. We get a homework sheet on Monday and it's due to be turned in on Friday morning. But I did also questioned my child's school work and how hard it was. It was suggested to me to check the counties school website for the common core portal for more information about what to expect this year. We're to read 20 min a day but sometimes we go longer depending on the book. GL
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• my dd had a lot in 1st grade. She has a lot now too in 2nd. 15 spelling words, 15 vocabulary words, 2 A.R books, 2 weekly story books and 100 math problems (due by Friday)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• According to the NEA Reviews of the Research on Best Practices in Education and The National PTA the recommendation is 10-20 minutes per night in the first grade, and an additional 10 minutes per grade level thereafter. http://www.nea.org/tools/16938.htm

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Compared to my kids (3 older, youngest is currently in 1st) that does sound like a lot.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2013