Did you take "MOMMY and ME" classes when your kids were babies?

If so, did you enjoy them? If not, why? I have yet to attend any with my 11 month old, but I feel inadequate! We go to the park everyday, but everyone always asks me what activities we're involved in or talks about the classes other moms are taking. Some of the classes are expensive, with the exception of what park districts offer, and we only have one family car, which my husband drives to work. Just wondering what others have experienced with either taking or skipping these "necessary- for-baby's development" classes. THANK YOU!

PriyaDelaney

Asked by PriyaDelaney at 12:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 3 (-18 Credits)
  • You aren't inadequate. At that age, a kid doesn't need classes and activities. Going to the park is great, but so is any activity you can do at home. Just give your little one lots of attention. I went to one Mommy and Me class, and I could never bring myself to return. Nobody talked to me. The other moms all knew each other, and I just sat there by myself and felt like a shaggy dog no one wanted.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Never took any...I don't think my kids or I missed out on anything either. I fail to see how they are 'necessary'. You can give most everything one of those classes offers at home. I wouldn't pay too much attention to those other moms you mentioned. It sounds like they are bragging about how great of a mother they are. You don't have to take your baby to classes to be a great mom.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• No. They are not necessary! I have 5 kids and didn't do mommy & me classes with any of them, it didn't hurt them at all. There are much cheaper options for things to do with babies - playground, library story time, songs/finger plays at home, etc

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I went twice... that's all I could take. Moms talking to their babies like they are idiots. Everything is high pitched and HAPPY!!! It's pretty nuts.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• No thank you. I don't find those classes necessary or even fun.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I did a mommy and me water aerobics class when my daughter was about 8 months old at the Y. That's actually what got me started teaching swim lessons. That teacher would get to talking with the moms and not pay attention to where we were in the pool. I'd overhear what the next few exercises were supposed to be and just kinda take over the class. Well, she was also the Water Babies and Tint Tot swim instructor. She talked me into teaching and my daughter was my teaching aid until she turned 2 and everything was no.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• no- not even sure there were any...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• nope,
    kids and parents interacted before all of these classes and they did it for free!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I did with my oldest from 1 to 2 yrs old because I thought she needed interaction with other kids. We actually went to "The Little Gym" not "Mommy & Me".
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• They were unheard of when my children were babies. They are now 43, 40, and 36, smart, well-adjusted adults who are contributors to society. I don't think they missed out on a thing!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2013