PTO(pta) meetings....what goes on?

What are the meetings like...what do they do?

DS school has one today so just wondering.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• At ours they talk about the financials, the fundraising efforts, vote for chairs for different committees and discuss what those committees are doing, ask for volunteers for different school events, that kind of junk.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Depends on the subject, if it is the new math, I would suggest leaving, lol! Mostly fundraising etc, it will be fine if that is what it is about!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Yeah I don't think I will go..with my health I really can't committ to doing a bunch of fundraising or a committee. I volunteered with his teacher to do some at home work though. I'm just not that dependable with my health and I never know when I'm going to have a flare etc and be stuck in bed.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I don't know. I met the woman who heads up the PTO and offered to help, and she dismissed me without a second thought, saying she was sure there was nothing a blind person could really do. I suppose I should have challenged her on that, but I get flat fed up with trying to prove myself before I even get a chance to screw up, so I'll find other places to put my efforts into. Good luck if you go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Best advice is to go and find out what this school's PTO meetings are like.
    Lots of information.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Gossiping!! Then fundraising, party stuff, open floor, closing remarks.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Ballad, it's time you developed a few snappy answers to knock the stuffing out of folks like that. Even if it's just to have the last word. It must be really wearing on your self esteem...

"Really, I suppose you're right. Ignorance trumps blindness every time" and walk away.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Really it depends on the group. Ours we go over the treasurers report then discuss any upcoming events (family events, fundraisers etc) and what the committees still need help with. If there are school issues that need discussed we do it then with the principals. We let any teacher's etc ask for money. After the general meeting we hold the board meeting and vote on anything that needs voted on . Truthfully your best bet is go and see what it is like and if you don't like it don't go again. Our meeting is tonight and we will be discussing the playground equipment that was just installed, family movie night next friday, and issues some parents are having with the changes to the parent teacher conferences. At least that is what is on the agenda.
    Anonymous