What are near double addends.

Chickymamma27

Asked by Chickymamma27 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sorry I do not do other people's homework. If you are trying to help your child he should have a book.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Do your own homework!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Let's look at 7 + 3 = 10. The seven and the three are addends. A near double addend would be 10 + 11= 21. The importance of near double addends is being able to add numbers in your head quickly. You could break 10 +11 into 10 + 10 + 1 and be able to quickly be able to calculate it to 21.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• Dardenella and Crafty, my son doesn't bring home a math book. I have to figure out a few of his math problems on my own or ask others that might know. I seriously doubt that the question on the homework is "What is a near double addend?", so it's not like you are doing the homework for them. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• I have to figure out a few of his math problems

I send it back in with a note telling the teacher that my kid doesn't know....They need to know about that so they can re-teach the info. Homework is supposed to be review of info already learned.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• So, I as a parent can't help him learn it? His homework packet isn't turned in until the end of the week and we were told to check over all the problems and to not send it back in until everything is correct. For the most part, it's not that he doesn't know how to do it, it's that he doesn't know how to do it the "new" way. I was in the elementary education program before all the new ways of teaching math came out, so even I have to google or ask some of my teacher friends how to do something.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• So, I as a parent can't help him learn it?

I didn't say that... Homework is supposed to be review of info already learned. The teacher needs to know if they still don't get it after it's been taught so they can re-teach the info. They need feedback, they need to know if the class isn't getting it. The teacher might think they have done a great job teaching something, but half the class may still be clueless. But, since the homework comes back done, and done right, how does the teacher know that the kids didn't really get what they were supposed to out of a lesson??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• How does the teacher know that the kids didn't really get what they were supposed to out of a lesson?

By their assignments that they do in class.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2013

• You haven't spent much time in a class room recently have you? Never mind... I see you are missing the point. Have a great day!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Crafty, I have spent the last 7 years in classrooms. I just recently moved out of the classroom a few months ago. If I remember correctly, you work at the high school level, so when was the last time you were in an elementary class? You are the one missing the point. Elementary homework and high school homework is completely different. You were rude to the OP and you know it. It wouldn't have hurt you or the mom asking to explain what a near double addend is. Just last week, my son had a question about addends. He was briefly confused what an addend was and when I explained it to him, he was able to complete the answer on his own.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2013