Convertible or Regular Crib?? Need help choosing..

Hello Moms,

I am wondering if it is best to shell out the extra money for a convertible crib that turns into a bed or just stick with the regular crib for the baby. Please let me know your thoughts.

BabyK7_09

Asked by BabyK7_09 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• We went with the convertible and it was only a little extra. Definitely outweighed the cost of having to buy a toddler bed as well as a crib.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• DH and I bought one that turned into a toddler bed, but chose not to get one that changed to a twin so we could use the same crib for any other babies we will have, and just got DD a cheap twin. We figured she is going to color, scratch ect. to it so might as well buy a cheap one for the young years lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Depends on if/when you plan on having more kids. If you plan on having another baby while this one still needs a toddler bed, then you might as well just get the regular crib since you'll need another bed anyway (unless you'd want to get another crib or convertible for the next one, too). If you don't plan on having another one until this one would be out of a toddler bed anyway, then it would save you some money to just buy one bed that does it all.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I love the convertible cribs because they can keep it forever they are not that much more than the standard crib. They look better and function better at least to me. I have one for my DD and when we have number two I will buy another no need to buy regular beds later on saves money really does and you do not end up with a standard crib and no place for it. ( that is after they grow out of it)
    wantherout08

Answer by wantherout08 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I thought that buying the convertible was actually going to be cost saving, and I was wrong. I had three children in 4 1/2 years, so none of them really used it as a toddler bed. I ended up buying a regular bed and two toddler beds in the interim while I still had babies in the crib! I wouldn't bother if you want your children close in age like I did.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 1:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Like the PP's said it depends on how many children you want to have, and how you want them spaced (age wise). For me, the convertible crib was the best option. I do not want another child until my son is 4 or 5. The bed he has now, will be only his and he will have it for a long time. The bed we got was the 4 in 1 by Simplicity. It can be a crib, toddler bed, twin bed and full size bed. It was $250 for the bed, but seems worth it in the end. Good luck choosing!
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 1:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i have compared closely as i am pregs with #2 ... both boys... my first son's crib was broken.. long story! and i bought him a toddler bed (firetruck~ super cute that is the same size as a crib matress) .. so i do not need to convert at all, but the seem to cost the same!! really most people want a converter so there a more choices with the converting kind... the only difference i can find is that non converting are a little stronger/ sturdier.. when a crib converts to a toddler bed, it rarely has a roll bar that keeps the kid in, it is also higher in the air than a true toddler bed... the whole toddler bed step is skipped for a twin bed by many moms and it can easily be... all jmo
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Thank you everyone!!!
    BabyK7_09

Answer by BabyK7_09 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• im looking for a convertible crib myself at the moment.. hubby and I decided to go with convertible because it doesn't cost that much more plus we rather spend a little extra and buy something great than having to buy 2 beds that are solala..
    my sister bought just the crib and baby outgrew it faster than expected and now she had to buy a whole new bed.
    good luck on picking a crib anyhow .. I feel so excited imagining my baby sleeping in there =)
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 3:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• the great part about a lot of convertibles is that the matress for the crib and toddler bed are the same thing. So you may spend 300 hundred up front, but you get two complete beds our of it before you have to spend anymore. And even if you are having another kid, just buy another convertible for them! you would have to buy a toddler bed anyway so you might as well just get another convertible.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009