Teaching toddlers.....

I'm a SAHM with twin boys who are 19 months old.... I am trying to teach them to talk and learn the basics (bodyparts, furnitures, family members, etc.)

I'm no teacher but I need some ideas on some creative way to learn things by getting BOTH their attention at the same time (and keeping it too)...

What activities can we do together as a team that they can learn new things...

Also, what are the names of some books that really helped you as a mother to teach your toddlers - that way when I go to the library with the kids - I know what I'm looking for and I can just be in and out...

Thanks for your time...

jmartin571982

Asked by jmartin571982 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bought my DD counting books, letter books, and animal books. They helped her learn and now she is talking at a three year old level. I only paid $1 each at target for the books, and they helped alot. Also the animal books with the fur in them kept my DD entertained.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Flashcards. My son loves them. We used "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" to teach him his colors, "Dr. Suess's ABC's" to learn his alphabet (along with his Leapstart Fridge Phonics toy, which is a lifesaver in the kitchen), and I can't remember the number book we had, but it had buttons on the side you could push to hear the numbers outloud, so it taught my son not only to count, but also to identify the number as well. For body parts we just did them together all the time like "Here's Mommy's nose. Now where is your nose?" We spend a lot of time in the car together as well, so we incorporate learning a lot then, since my son is strapped tight in his carseat and ready to pay attention, lol. We count the semi trucks, we say the colors of the cars going by, we read signs out loud, etc.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 12:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I just make them copy me.. they sing their ABC's but it is three or four letters at a time.. and everytime they repeat after me I clap and say yea! lol.. I just make it fun.. they can do the hand movements to patty cake.. and itsy bitsy spider.. ya know.. all those type of songs.. I dunno.. they have a pretty big vocabulary already.. I think it is cause they are around older kids a lot too..
    pawneendn

Answer by pawneendn at 1:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• what Im doing is taking index cards & drawing pictures of animals or objects & on the other side the 1st letter of that object, like apple a, ball b, & color them so they dont lose intrest, ( I have a lot of time on my hands)
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 2:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Play, play, play. Don't even try to teach...just incorporate it into play. They'll catch on quicker than you realize.

"Head, shoulders, knees and toes" is a good thing to start with.

I used to also sit the boys on my lap (one or two at a time depending on the combination of the three) and start with "where's mommy's eyes/ears/nose/mouth/etc?"

Beep the nose or take the nose....

Just play games with the toys and stuff. Label everything. It's not a ball, it's a green ball. The letter blocks they're building with...blue A, purple E, orange S, etc.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If you want them to learn family memebers then use pictures of them..Single and group pictures. And whatever you want them (or the family memeber wants to be called..go through the pictures and say Emaxple (Nanny point to her, Aunt kim, Point to her, Uncle Bob and so on..then do it again.) then ask them to point to the person you are asking for. When they seem to be getting it..Call them out of order from what you have been. It will help them when seeing them in person too.
    With body parts you can make it a game. Like Head Shoulders, Knees toes, eyes, ear, mouth and nose..then when they get that down add in things to it like Tummy, and so on..Once they get it down start ramdomly asking them to point things out..
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• ticcledblue is right. Simply play with them and they'll learn. They're too young to sit still and be taught and as a fellow mom of twins, I know how hard it is to get them to both pay attention at the same time.
    In addition to doing "head, shoulders" you can talk about body parts every time you change them/give them a bath, you can teach colors by pointing out the colors of their toys/objects you see throughout the day. Look at your photo album together and point out members of the family. Any books you find for their age group will be fine for reading/expanding vocabulary.
    Rest easy mama. I'm sure you're doing a fine job already!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Well what works on one child might not work on another but, If yours would sit and watch videos.....seasme street, barney, etc. have many educational videos. My dauther loved them, whe watched them all the time and even the Elmocize one, lol, she loved that. I believe they helped her very much. She is 13 now and she's always been a straight A student.
    Anonymous

• i'm a SAHM of twin girls who are two years next month. it is nearly impossible to get both their attention for any length of time. i am a certified elem. school teacher. but at this age we just cant expect them to sit and learn things. read them books, use flash cards, when reading ask them to point things out and cheer when they do. when they are playing name the colors of the blocks they are using. point to things and name them. talk to them about the day and what's going on.
    that is the best we can do at this age, its not like the have the attention span to actually have a lesson. what i'm going to do when they get a little older is have a letter of the day. and we'll do things all day related to that letter. say we are on A so snack will be apples, i'll have toy airplanes, alligators etc. and i'll try to get them to write the letter A. we will go thru the alphabet and start over again.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2009