How much help should a parent provide during homework time?

I saw a question asked where a parent asked a math question and the responses were to let her child do their own homework. It got me thinking about my own first grader and his homework.

Should parents assist children in doing homework? How much assistance is the right amount, if any? Why do you think that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• A parent can help the child see a problem in a different way.......another way to approach it or think about it. We can provide the one on one attention and help that a teacher might not be able to give because she has so many students. But we are not helping them if we actually to do the homework for them.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I am around and my kids know they can ask me anything but I will not give them the answer. For example, with math I will come up with a similar problem and walk them through the steps, but I won't do their homework for them. Then I will check it, marking the ones they got wrong (if any) making sure that any incorrect answers are due to minor mistakes and not a misunderstanding of the concepts. But if they still don't understand, they need to ask their teacher. Rest assured, they won't be the only child with questions.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I think it depends on the homework, and the kid...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:29 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• *also, pretty much any time someone asks a homework question in here- that's the response they get
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Yes, I think parents should assist/help their do homework, especially in elementary when kids are learning how to study, manage their time, etc. How much really depends on the homework assignment, but there is a line between helping and actually doing it for them. I also think that as a child gets older and advances in school the less involved a parent will need to be when it comes to homework.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Yes u are absolutely right.. I got 3 boys n i sit with until they ar done with their homeworks.
    Hema250

Answer by Hema250 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• The only help I supply is to explain the problem differently until my daughter "gets" it. I don't do her homework for her. I do, occasionally, supply ideas such as yesterday she had to write a poem as if it were a recipe. I suggested a rainbow and that was all. She wrote the poem herself.

I also think it's important for the child to ask the teacher when they're stuck. They need to learn that there is no shame in asking for help and that it's a useful skill to learn.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 8:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I believe in giving enough help so that the child feels supported and confident in the situation. With my five-year-old, that means a lot of direct, hands-on coaching. With my teenage stepson, it's more discussing possible ideas, encouraging him to go online and look up things he doesn't know, and sometimes just plain rding his butt to make sure assignments get done.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I have to say I was surprised by the response to let the kid do it or leave it blank. The idea was stated that if the child does not know the homework the teacher needs to know. I agree the teacher should be updated that the student needs some further help and doesn't understand it. In our house homework is handled as a family activity. His school writes that "the family" should select six homework options for the month. There are about thirty options in various categories. We work on homework for about ten minutes each day, since he is first grade, and typically turn in more than the six required as a result. This is minus reading. I think in future grades I would be inclined to sit near him, be available, and help when needed. I am a strong believer a parent is a child's teacher too. A school's partner. I am not saying this is right, just what my personal philosophy is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• As much is needed without doing the homework for the kid.
    That is assuming the child has a basic knowledge of the concepts.

So on that question it appeared that the child didn't just didn't get it and the responses were correct. The teacher needs to know. If the kid (in question) comes home every night and Mom has to reteach the information, how is the teacher going to know they are failing to educate the child?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:56 AM on Oct. 10, 2013