Should parents buy a nice party favor bag for friends who come to the party?

Once again it is that time of year for us where we are planning a birthday party. We have had fairly sizable parties since he was a toddler. He has always been in a school with a close knit group in his classes. We have always done the standard party favor bag. I am wondering why we do this. The cheap items are really crappy. They never last long. I do the same standard fair as the other parents for every party we have ever went to. I am considering boycotting the party favor. Or doing something such as a craft to have each kid take home as the actual favor. I am tired of the party favors. I was thinking also of a book swap and letting kids bring their old books and "shop" at the end for "new" books their other friends brought with them. Should we just get the party favors? Step it up and do a bit better on the favor, like buying each child a book, or can we skip and do a craft? What is acceptable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Do a craft that they can take home. I'm not crazy about the book swap idea. How about painting small pumpkins?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• craft is fine...

we had a Harry potter party foe my daughters 10th? birthday, I'd made everyone a wand and they got to take home instead of "goodie bags"
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• We have done crafts in lieu of party favors several times and it seems to go over well. One of the favorites was when we did tie dye tshirts (we got packs of inexpensive boys undershirts and a tie dye kit from Walmart)

Answer by missanc at 8:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Yeah, the craft idea is a good one. We get one of two nicer things for the party favors instead of the normal crap. We don't have time at his parties to add in a craft so it wouldn't work for us, but if it works for you that is what I would go for.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Even though we think those toys are crap, I think the kid think they are Gold! My son's 6th bday is in 2 weeks, dinosaur themed, so I got a bunch of dino masks, dino pencils, actual little dino's, dino tattoo's, basically a Dino explosion in a bag. If I am getting gifts for 24 kids (I know not all 24 actually show but...) then I can't buy expensive gifts for them because they may not like the generic gifts. When he gets a little older and isn't inviting every member of his class then I think the gifts could get a little better.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I love the book swap idea!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• We haven't done lots of parties, but the years we did host parties we gave a party favor bag to guests. But we didn't go for the standard fare because of the reasons that make you question why do it: the cheap items are crappy & don't last. We just picked things that seemed nicer or worthwhile.
    One year (for a 3 year old) I had bought some undyed silk scarves to dye playsilks with Kool Aid for my daughter. I decided to make enough that we could use them in the favor bags at birthday time, and I also kept some to use as gift wrap for the parties she attended that year of same-age friends.
    It's usually been a selection from an assortment of small items that are relatively inexpensive but nice quality.

Doing something like a craft is a nice idea. Making wands or painting capes at the party gives them something to take home. My daughter attended a party in July; the girls wove wreaths out of vines & flowers & made fairy wands.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I LOVE the craft idea! If it won't make YOU go crazy ;)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2013