Do you know children who are tweens that look much older and some that look much younger?

I have a friend who's son is now in middle school. The now 6th grader looks like he could be in elementary school. It is the whole package. His body size, his personal physical development is more like a 4th and 5th grader in comparison, and even his maturity level. On the other hand there are some 6th graders, not quite teens yet either, who look like they are in high school. What should a tween look like? How should they dress? What things should they appropriately be into at this age?

All in all, do you find that at that stage there are some who have not quite reached that tween about to be teen stage while others are just more mature physically and socially?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• All children are different...you should not compare......but tweens these days look a lot older than they use to look in my day.....

Answer by older at 9:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• From what Ive seen boys dont usually "grow up" until highschool sometime (10th grade +) ... And girls usually look older than their age - most likely because they get breast so young & wear makeup & clothes makes them look more mature.
    MustBNapTime

Answer by MustBNapTime at 9:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• What should a tween look like?  ...

How should they dress? how they want -within reason (no short shorts, no bra straps showing, no saggy pants, no profanity ...)

What things should they appropriately be into at this age? things that do no harm and make them happy?

All in all, do you find that at that stage there are some who have not quite reached that tween about to be teen stage while others are just more mature physically and socially?  of course

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Do you really need to ask if some look like kids and some look older? It is kind of a given that every kid is different and matures at a different rate.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Yes but there minds are at the age it should be.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Kids vary so much. My stepson is seventeen, but nobody believes it. He gets annoyed because some restaurants still offer him a kids' menu.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Ballad, I have a daughter who is the opposite. I carry her ID card to prove her age. At age 7, when we would eat out they would expect us to pay for an adult meal for her and the age was usually 12 and over. She's tall for her age and looks much older than she is even now (11 on Thursday).
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 12:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Aren't 4th & 5th graders "tweens" if they are 9 or 10 years old? (Look at the age range for this question's category, for instance! lol) And some middle school kids are teenagers, not "tweens." I think "tween" isn't really the equivalent of "middle school student."
    You mentioned a 6th grader seeming more like an elementary student than a middle school student, but those upper elementary years ARE the supposed "tween" years....

I think some kids make the transition to "seeming like" or "looking like" teens after they are technically teenagers, while some children make that transition before they are 13 years old.

I find in a home environment/school culture that cultivates intrinsic motivation & personal responsibility (self-evaluation, self-directed learning, the safety to take risks & wonder), children can be quite "childlike" in terms of their spark & engagement but very mature in terms of self-responsibility at young ages.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I had this problem the other day. I realized my babies weren't babies anymore :( Its like my twin girls grew over night. They have bodies, and they are only eleven! I swear its the hormones in the meats, etc. I am about to be strictly organic lol. They have a chest, and butt already. However they are petite little things. I don't remember being that mature looking at that age.
    lovemyfour79

Answer by lovemyfour79 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I do my daughter she is 12 but she looks like she is 5
    Copper77

Answer by Copper77 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2013