What is the best beginner sewing machine for a 9 year old?

GrammyPatti

Asked by GrammyPatti at 11:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• My first choice would be a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116. It's a very basic, but very high quality sewing machine. they run around $300 on sale.

If you aren't going to spend that much, keep in mind the cheaper machines have plastic parts in them and won't last very long.

Look for a top loading bobbin and side spool pin- these things are more user friendly and help to prevent bobbin jams. A front loading bobbin requires a more experienced, steadier foot on the pedal. Decide what kind of fabrics she will be sewing on. Cheaper machines tend to have smaller motors (even those that say 'heavy duty' aren't necessarily truly heavier. You want a strong enough motor to go through all types of fabrics, and bigger motors are more expensive.

A good dealer will give a free owner's class to teach the owner how to use and care for the machine.

Most importantly, have fun! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Thank you for your great information. I am a little leary of spending that much on a 9 year old until I know she has true interest, but your advice about the top loading bobbin and side spool pin is very helpful and will be a factor in choosing a machine for her.
    GrammyPatti

Comment by GrammyPatti (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I just got my daughter an inexpensive brother sewing machine, it was around $75. If she shows an interest then in time I will buy her a nicer one with more functions. But I didn't want to spend a lot until I see how much she will use it. I also think with use she will know more about exactly what she wants in a machine.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Personally if she's never sewed before I'd look around at some yard sales/auctions. You can usually pick name brand machines up for as little as $15 - $20. Just check to see if it's well oiled. At her age I don't think the brand is a biggie so much as the price. If she sticks with it you can always trade up at some of the local sewing shops and get your initial investment back.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• They no longer make Kenmore's. You can get a less expensive machine, just be careful. Sometimes the cheaper machines are frustrating to use and make the sewer think they can't sew. Used machines can be a good deal, but always take some fabric with you and ask to test it. A servicing costs an average of $95...plus parts. If the machine is more than 10 years old the parts can already be obsolete. (This doesn't mean it's a bad way to go, just be careful.

I had several great little Janome machines for teaching kids classes. They aren't quite Vikings, but I like them better than the Singers and Brothers. This being said, I haven't sewn on every Singer and Brother machine. But they do have some nice entry level machines under $200. The big thing I would do is test drive them! Do not buy any machine that doesn't have a manual, although many are available online, many aren't, and it's very necessary. Also make sure that you KNOW cont
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• What bobbin size and what needle size the machine takes. It's not always in the manual, and you have to use the right bobbin and needle for the machine, or you may have poor sewing results, and can even damage the machine. So if you choose to go used, take someone with good knowledge of sewing machines with you to shop.

Keep in mind that a lot of dealers, or stores like Jo Ann's have sewing classes for kids, and will supply a sewing machine for them to use in class, and give you a better idea of how interested your child is before you purchase a machine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2013