How far is appropriate?

When it comes to websites censoring and editing their members' intellectual property?

What about when there are discrepancies and inconsistencies in regard to how rules are upheld or enforced, whether between sections of the site or between members?

If a site is determined to no longer be user friendly, what is the appropriate action for users to take at that point?

Should sites care whether their administration is user friendly?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2013 in Technology

• sites should notice when their staff obviously do not communicate with each other, are not competent to do their jobs, and/or are abusive to the merchandise...because that's really what people are here - we're not the client, we're the product being sold to the advertisers. They better hope their advertiser's don't notice. Well, except for their "new" advertisers who probably have very low standards.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• If a site is determined to no longer be user friendly, what is the appropriate action for users to take at that point?

Whoever posted the abandon ship meme the other day- good suggestion.
    I am, however, sure the powers that be will blame a member as opposed to themselves.
    At least, that has been their MO.
    Like bullies in a schoolyard.

If I beat you up, it's your fault because you didn't do as I said, which is to bend over and take it up the ass with a smile on your face.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Look what you gone an made me do, girl!
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 2:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• They SHOULD care but since they provide the service, they get to call the shots. We can always refuse to play BUT it is their ball we are playing with.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Just because they get to call the shots doesn't mean they shouldn't worry about whether their product is good or not. Because if it isn't then they'll find themselves out of business. That's just common sense when it comes to providing a service. You keep the "customers" happy or they go somewhere else, especially in a place where there are plenty of other companies who would love to poach your clients.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

*******

Yeah, You'd think...
    apparently, that's not always the case though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I guess I'm a dumb sucker. I keep hoping the powers that be will pull their collective heads out of their asses and figure out that we, the members who support their advertisers, aren't asking for a whole lot.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• A smart company should be actively asking its customers and vendors their opinions of the site to gauge satisfaction levels. I've worked for a well-rated tech company for years, and we send out net promoter surveys all the time, and a lot of upper management has those scores in their performance goals. When promoter scores fall, we look into the reasons why, make changes where needed, and work together to build the relationship to a stronger level.

When dissatisfaction goes unchecked, people start walking. And we all know that negative comments travel a lot further than positive ones. People will start complaining outside a site so that new traffic will stop coming in.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• "They better hope their advertiser's don't notice."

So then I wonder... is there a way to make sure the advertisers notice?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Maybe but that is still their choice. If they fail and the business goes kaput then they will have reaped what they sowed. If they are trying to cater to a different clientele and it succeeds, they will also reap the profits.
    I do think they are being over reactive but I do think it is ridiculous to keep baiting them and then whining.

-.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2013