Limited time on electronics

Last night my step son was on his ipod for most of the night and I asked for him to hand it over because he was on it for awhile. We have the exact same rules fir or daughters and the rules have never changed! His mom is on vacation in las Vegas and he messaged her this morning that I took it away from him. She then messaged me about taking off away. I am not trying tutu be the bad person. Why does it hurt but my feelings that he told his mom.

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Don't take it personal, Mom. Kids will try the "divide and conquer" strategy every time, especially if it has worked in the past. Did your stepson know the rules before he started? Did you remind him that if he didn't get off the computer, it would be taken away? How long is he expected to hand it over for?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Did you take it away to keep it? or did you take it away until today when he can have it for the set amount of hours that is allowed in your home?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Your house, your rules. Remind him of the limits on electronics. As far as him calling his mom, perfectly normal, don't take it personally.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I just took it away for the evening around 6 pm and no not for myself. It went in the charger. Yes this has been a forever rule in our house. And he knows.
    jem102675

Comment by jem102675 (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• What did you expect him to do. He figures that will throw a wrench in the works and he will get his way. Do not give in.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2013