Should my husband wait to join the army until after our baby is born?

My husband wants to join the army but we have an 8 mo old baby and I am 7 months pregnant. I'm scared that he will be sent off before my baby is born. I'd rather he hang around here a while and help me with the babies but he thinks if he joins now then he will beable to provide a better life for me and the children. Right now he works part-time while I work fulltime. He thinks if he joins the army that I will be able to stay home with the babies while he takes care of us. I don't know if I should try to talk him in to holding off joining the army until after the baby is born or if I should support him and encourage him to go now. Please give me some solid advise. Thanks in advance!

jasluvskt

Asked by jasluvskt at 6:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2013 in Military

• Before, because he won't get in with 3 dependants.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Really? I didn't know that. Are you for sure? His recruiter doesn't know that I'm pregnant. We actually aren't married at the moment but were planning to get remarried before he leaves so that I can move on base.
    jasluvskt

Comment by jasluvskt (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• you better get married first...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• @funlovinlady.... I found the following comment in a yahoo answers question. What do you think about that? Is it wrong or right?

"Military.com is wrong when it says you need a waiver for two kids in the Army and the actual policy that reflects that is AR 601-210, Chapter 2-10a(2): a. An applicant meets dependency requirements if they are— (2) Married and, in addition to the spouse, has two or fewer dependents. The other branches will require waivers for having two children. Whether or not they'll give it to you depends on several factors a recruiter from that branch can explain to you."

@charlotsomtimes...we are going to get married first cuz if we dont then i dont know when we will be able to later.
    jasluvskt

Comment by jasluvskt (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Yea, if you are not married, get married before he goes in. That way you will get benefits immediately. Medical.  I think he should go in now. Before the baby is born.   Has he looked into  going in yet?  I heard  it is getting harder to get in.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• I don't believe he'd make enough for you to be a SAHM

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• @louise2 Yes he has been to MEPS. He has a GED and doesn't have the required 15 college credit hours to join and he failed the AIMS test. So his recruiter took him to a church that offers a diploma class for people who do not have HS diploma. He has to complete 5 tests and he will get his HS Dimploma and be able to join that way. His recruiter calls him almost daily to see if he has completed the test materials yet. After he gets the HS diploma he will go to MEPS and pick a job. Then he can be shipped out between 30-90 days.
    jasluvskt

Comment by jasluvskt (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• As and E-1 (what he would be at enlistment) with less than 2 months time in service he would be paid $1,516.20 a month.

If he's going, go NOW, and make sure y'all are married before he goes. Boot Camp, or Basic Training is 9 weeks long. AIT or Advanced Individual Training is anywhere from 9 weeks to 2 years. I may have those numbers off, I don't remember anymore. Either way, while he's in training you DON'T get to live with him.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• @butterflyblue that's disheartening to hear. I really want to be a SAHM. I was thinking if we lived on base that I wouldn't have to worry about paying bills and his money would cover our needs.
    jasluvskt

Comment by jasluvskt (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• My husband is an E6 and we just get by. I'd hate the be an E1 family. Especially with the government problems. Right now I have to hope and pray I get my VA payment on the 1st. It's really not a good time for anyone to join the military.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2013