Have any of you had a dog with bladder stones?

Poor Ballad probably has bladder stones. We just got back from the vet with painkillers and probiotics to counteract their negative digestive effects. She'll go in for an ultrasound on Monday to find out how extensive the problem is, and then I'll have to decide if putting her through surgery is going to be worth the risk at her age. Have any of your dogs had the surgery? What was it like? How hard was the recovery? It's the pits when our pets get old and sick!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2013 in Pets

• I have never been through this with my own dogs but I have worked with many dogs that have had the surgery and they all did great.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Oh boy, that is terrible news. I'm so sorry. I don't have experience with this. What does the surgery entail and how old is Ballad? Gall stones are painful too. Keep searching the net for answers. Maybe at yahoo answers or something to see if others can give you their experience. Good luck to Ballad, I know how important she is to you. Maybe it'll work out fine!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Awwww, that's tough. Maybe with the pain meds she'll pass the stone(s)? One can hope. : (
    I'm sorry. I hope it works out well.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Ballad just turned twelve, so she's slowing down and getting stiff in the joints. She's always had food allergies, so she has a sensitive system, but we've worked around it. But the last few days, she wouldn't stop pacing and panting for more than a few minutes at a time. Then she started dribbling urine when she walked around and wanting to go out constantly, so I thought she had a UTI or something. When the vet tested a urine sample, there were calcium oxalate crystals in it, which is an indicator of possible bladder stones. I don't really know what the surgery entails; I guess it depends on the extent of the problem. Waiting through the weekend to find out is going to kill me.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2013