Is there any age difference between your children and their friends?

My son is 8 (9 next weekend!) and for the most part his friends are between the ages of 7-9. He made a new friend last week and I found out today that the boy is 12. For the most part they get along pretty well. The biggest thing is getting his friend to understand why my son can't do certain things. For example, I allow my son to ride his skateboard, bike, etc at the tennis court that has been converted for that purpose. The 12 year old is allowed to ride his skateboard in the parking lot that has a slope. This is my first experience with him having friends that are older and was curious if anyone else has experience with this.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Many of my son's friends are either older or younger. There aren't a whole lot of kids his age around, so he plays with whoever is available. He knows his limits and is good with sticking to them, even when pressured not to. It can be tough at times, but as long as the older kids understand (and aren't using my kid as some kind of joke or prop) they usually have fun together.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• My sons friend next door that he played with all summer is 3 years younger. They get a long pretty well on my sons part since is cousin is the same age so he gets how to handle little ones, but the 3yr old, soon to be 4 has a hard time sharing (natural for his age IMO)
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• My just turned 7 yr old & almost 4 yr old, have a mutual friend that's 5 but, that's it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• My kids are much younger than yours, but DD's "friends" for the most part are older, and boys. Before she started daycare last year, she was 2 and her "friends" were 4 and 5 year old boys (mostly because my friend's/neighbors had older boys). Her "best friends" now are a little younger than her, she is 3 and they are 2 1/2. She also just moved to preschool, which is 3-5 years old, and she has become very popular, even the 5 year olds want to play with her. DS doesn't tend to interact with other toddlers as much, he is almost 2 and very shy, he prefers adults. He does like DD's "best friend" who is about 6 months older than him, and he is in love with a little girl that is a little older, other than those 2 kids, and DD he could care less about kids.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• My son is 5 and there's a 7 year old girl and a 3 year old boy next door that he plays with sometimes, but otherwise all his friends are at school and are in Kindergarten. In fact, he specifically told me today that all his friends at school are 5 or 6 and all the teachers are 44.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Oh and to your question, the 7 year old he plays with is allowed to roam the block, I don't let my son farther than I can see him from my porch or crossing the street. I feel bad sometimes when she goes off without him but I'm not budging yet.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• My kids are friends with a wide age range of kids. My daughter (age 9) currently is closest to girls close in age to her, but even then some of her closest friends wouldn't be in her grade (they attend an ungraded school.) Her closest friends are a year younger, one to two years older, and several girls her same age.
    But when she started school she was very attached to a couple of the upper elementary girls (she was 5 and they were 9 & 10.) I have a photo of her at our local Halloween parade two years ago (she was 7) and she's at the bonfire laughing with a group of middle school girls, all of whom take her seriously & enjoy her company. In the last year or so, she got more oriented to kids her own age but she has relaxed, easy contact with students from 5-14.
    My boys(5) just started school. They didn't have many friends they saw regularly before, but now they're forming attachments with same-age peers & middle schoolers.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:15 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• The biggest age difference for my daughters' friends is a year...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Yes she has this one friend that is about three years older then me and I pt is a little big of a problem at times. My dd is 4 and the girl just turned 7 but she is very bossy and just know things that I don't want my dd knowing and how she handle things is different. I supervise very closely.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2013