What kind of employment opportunities are there for special need teens?

I have a 16 yr old son looking for his first job. While most of his issues are not a physical problem, he does have extreme concrete thinking (due to traumatic brain injuries) that I believe could be an issue in his comprehension for directions on a task.

DuckCommander

Asked by DuckCommander at 11:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2013 in Special Needs

• I would have him apply at grocery stores as a bagger or stocker.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2013

• Are there any training opportunities through his school?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:17 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Our drug store hires a few folks with some disabilities and Wal Mart might too. Also, what about pet sitting?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Do you recommend telling a prospective employer about his issues or say nothing until it becomes a problem?

His list for this weekend's application spree includes Wal-Mart, walgreens, target, and a Halloween store he has spoken to. I spoke with the school today, he's not eligible this semester but will take a look for the next one.
    DuckCommander

Comment by DuckCommander (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• This is a really good question and I am guessing yes because it will become apparent at some point. I wouldn't want to misrepresent myself. But at what point in the interviewing process, I don't know. Honestly, I think I'd call an out of town Wal Mart and ask for Human Resources and pick that person's brain about whether or not they hire kids in the same circumstance. At least you'll come away with some idea???? Don't know. Or maybe ask the school counselor?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I have a very good friend whose son is Mentally disabled. He's 25 now and started working for McDonald's when he turned 16!
    He is probably one of their best employees and the patrons all love him!

MCDonald's treats him great!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I think telling about his disability needs to happen fairly soon in the process, whether he does it himself or has help doing it, because otherwise the kid is setting himself up to fail. People need to know how to best give him directions. I'm not sure at what point the disability should be disclosed, but it might be worth calling the local office of the Division of Vocational Rehab (DVR) and asking questions. DVR serves adults who are out of the school system, but there might be someone there willing to advise you, or even brochures on how best to go forward.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2013

• With the help of the school they should be able to get him access to a case worker with your local board of Developmental Disabilities and/or Ability Center. Together, they can assess him & his skills & help coordinate with employers in your area who are known to hire people w/ disabilities. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Grocery stores are great first time jobs for anybody! Special needs kids could do bagging or collect grocery carts. Both are easy, help with focus and are nice way to socialize!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2013