No one is evil, everyone is good. There is no defeat—all is victory.

This is a tenet of the Sikh faith, one I noticed while reading an article explaining why a professor who was targeted by a hate crime does not view himself as a victim, so it's not right to judge his reaction to the crime in that context.

The idea is that you do not focus on the negative in actions or people, but on the good, and celebrate it.  Why is this not more common - why is it incompatable with other faiths?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure why it isn't, but it should be.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Because it's easier to control people by demeaning them and calling them "bad" & "sinful". It creates a co-dependency that a lot of churches rely on. The congregation is lacking so, they need the church to "lift them up" and make them better.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Because it might invalidate one's belief that people need to act, believe, think, etc a certain way to be good? That's just a thought I have concerning my small snipet of the world, not necessarily applying to other's.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• very good question! Wonder what the world, heck what CM woudl be like if we all took that approach
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I dunno. I think Michael Vick is pretty fucking evil.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 12:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• It's SO much easier to focus on the bad than the good sometimes, and people seem have a hard time not making things about themselves
    I think in general, it would do the world a lot of good to look at it that way, but realistically it will never happen

I mean just read some of the questions around here!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Aww that's beautiful. I try to see the good in everyone. When kids are mean to my kids I encourage them to pray for them, not in a religious way but just putting our intention out into the universe that we wish love and happiness upon those who are so miserable it makes them feel good to hurt others.

How are you NP? Long time no see;)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Why is this a more common trait in humans period?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• The pessimist in me is asking, how do these people stop from becoming doormats and being taken advantage of? If I had sociopathic tendencies, I'm start robbing all the Shikhs I could find

I think greed and desire for controlling others gets in the way. This is a beautiful philosophy, but not very sellable to a world half-full of pessimists.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• It isnt, after a quick search, necessarily about turning the other cheek and allowing your self to be walked over.
    But rather an attempt to find the good and learn from your suffering.
    There is a code of laws designed to protect the weak.
    The most outstanding is the concept that the reason behind a behavior be determined before meting out a punishment.

Is a starving person who steals bread equal to a greedy car thief?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2013