S/O from a movie I watched

If you were going to be overrun by the enemy, aliens, savages, barbarians, zombies, etc.
If you had always been taught or seen evidence yourself that those that were going to over run your town were merciless and your lives would be nothing but torture, would you kill your children rather than allow them to be taken? Would you kill all the women and children of the town?

(Yes this was a men fight women don't kind of movie and set well into the past?)

What would you do if there was no escape except death?

I am not sure where to put this but since it might be religion or ethics based, this seemed as good as anywhere.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Tough question.
    Personally, I don't think I could do it, my certainty in G-d is too great. But it's difficult to know what I'll do when it's an hypothetical situation.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I'd most likely try to rig the house to blow so I could take a bunch of them with me while at the same time saving my children from torture.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I would have to be in that actual situation to say what I would do. Hopefully I never will. My decision would Not be based on my religious beliefs at all though.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Masada?
    Yes.
    I would rather my family die a peaceful death than a torturous one.

I also believe in the right to die with dignity if we are to draw correlations.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• id rather my family not suffer, but i would wait till the bad ppl were at my door before doing anything. i remember a book that i absolutely hated b/c the male leader does this and then he is rescued like seconds later...made me so freakin angry! id never want to live with the knowledge that i killed my family for no reason.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Reminds me of The Mist
    I couldn't kill my loved ones

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• That's so hard. I'd like to take out as many as I can before I die, how ever it may happen.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• I'm not sure I could kill my children. I think of hopeless situations where somehow you make it. And I wouldn't know for sure if we wouldn't ugh sucky scenario I would never want to be in.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• I've seen too many zombie movies to believe it would be totally hopeless to the point of killing my family. Now, if they were to get BIT by a zombie ... bullet to the head. I wouldn't want them to suffer, die, come back.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Wow. I can't even imagine. I'd like to think I'd be strong enough to kill my little one quickly and easily if I knew she was guaranteed to be tortured to death, but I don't know if I would have it in me. I hope so; I do believe in the right to die with dignity. And I like the idea Baconbits had!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2013