Do you think kids should be able to bring there ipods to school?

Personally I don't really think they should bring them to school. That is the time to learn and get out to socialize. Will children be the odd ball out of they do not bring one to school? What are other parents doing in this situation?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• This is also only to use during recess time.
    jem102675

Comment by jem102675 (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• At our school you can't have them, if you do, they will take them away.
    No, I don't think they need to have an ipod at school.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• When my kids had iPods they did not take them to school. Now they do take their phones to school, kept in their backpack on silent mode. They have their phones on the off chance they miss the bus home or to call when track/volleyball/beta club/etc is finished. They do play on them at the bus stop, but they know if they have it out at school and a tea her takes it away, I will not be going to get it back for at least 2-3 weeks.

Answer by missanc at 3:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• My kids will be the odd ones out, apparently. I see 5th graders at their schools with iPhones and other gadgets. I don't see the need, at all.

When I was a kid and needed to call my dad for whatever reason, I used the phone in the office and had to dial 9 to get out. I see no reason why my kids can't do the same.

I'll revisit my thoughts on this when they're closer to high school. A LOT of it is going to depend on their maturity levels. Right now though, they're in 4th and 1st grades, they don't need them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• My daughters science class is mostly online so they do a lot of work through apps and stuff. I thought it was BS too because I don't want her bringing it to school. But they can only get on wifi in the science rooms and that is the only place wireless devices are allowed.

At one school, teachers confiscated phones and iPods but then a few asshole parents had to complain the teachers were taking their property and they pay the bill.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• First my kids, if I had some still would not have cell phones.

Answer by louise2 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I work at a high school and there are times they are allowed to use them. It's been proven that listening to music can help kids focus on some tasks. There are also times when we allow the kids to use the web functions for research. So yeah... I do believe they should be allowed to bring them to school as I have seen them used in a positive way.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I took my CD player to high school. The music helped me study. But if you are talking elementary school I don't think they should have any electronics at school.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• My kids won't be doing it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• No. It is a distraction.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2013