Apartment fees charged AFTER moved in?

My daughter moved out over the summer, and a couple days ago, the complex apparently got new management and people working in the offfice. She said they ahd a notice that they owed money so she went down there and everyone who had worked there had been fired. The new guy went through all her reciepts and paperwork with her and it turns out that her 2nd dog was never added...and some of the money appeared to not be accounted for (although SHE had a reciept). They worked it out and he told her that she may have a bit of a credit after all...
Today rolls around and she was told she OWES like 70 bucks for processing fees or administration fees (whatever it was they called them) that were never charged when she moved in. WHAT?!
can they DO that?
also, she went to give him a list of stuff that was wrong with the apt when they moved in- because the girl who had done the walk-through with us didn't finish (due to something else she had to go do) and said she was going to come back with people higher up because she was not pleased with the way it looked when we were checking it- so my daughter had tried 3 or 4 times to talk to them to have the rest added and they were always too busy with other people and would tell her to come back...and he told her he "can't go back in time" to add it
but yet he CAN go back and add fees we were never aware of?!
He was SO nice to her two days ago- explaining that the girl who did the walk through and approved her was the problem- and now...ugh...

thoughts?
*I'm trying to google it- to see if they can add fees after the fact...but I'm not having much luck finding anything

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 4:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Lawyer.
    And next time, make sure everything is done before moving in. As far as I know. They can't go and add fees like that. Only if she did not pay for something she was supose to pay for. She needs to ask them for proof she was suppose to pay that. No proof, not pay.

Answer by louise2 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• No he can not legally do that in most states. In fact he can not go backward on the dog fees either he can only start from where they acquired the property. A contract is a solid document until it is completed. When they buy the property they have to abide by everything in the contract until it is time to renew. If she has added a dog tha is not on the contract they can refuse to allow the addition or write an amendment to allow the extra dog and a certain cost. That is an additional contract. As far as the things that needed tobe fixed, your daughter should have had the heads up right then and there and gotten a lawyer because if those items are not filed withing 10 days (usually) you are SOL and are then responsible as though she had done the damage.
    Get a lawyer.
    I suggest strongly to anyone renting that before you move in you go through with a camera or video and record everything from the moment you step throug
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• the empty apartment doorway. One goes to the office, one in your files and one to somewhere safe.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Call 211
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• this link should tell you what rights you have and provide links to needed resources.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I would think the only way they could do that is if it's in her lease that she was supposed to pay those fees when she moved in, and they have proof that she didn't. Beyond that, I don't see how they could do this.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I don't think so. A contract is a contract and the new management / owner doesn't get to just add things on later.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Anything that was not written into the contact when it was originally signed cannot be billed. If they forgot something, that's on them and they have to eat it
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• That's what he told her... it was supposed to be charged- but wasn't

I would be demanding to be shown where it says it in the written lease, and I would also be demanding the proof that it wasn't charged. I wouldn't just take his word for it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• The new manager wants to retro the fees but he can't retro repairing the damages? How convenient for him.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2013