I feel threatened and unsafe in my apartment complex. I can't leave for a few months, how can I keep my family safe and enjoy my apartment again?

We have 2 young children. We have been at our current apartment for a year now. It was nice at first, safe, quiet & nice neighbors but 5 months ago the company switched managers & my enjoyment of home is gone :( The 2 apartments down the hall are very obvious Drug spots .Constant parties right in front of the complex sometimes until 2am!Tenants let their children play very loudly in the parking lot without any supervision. They throw rocks and balls at cars, skateboard & just congregate in our assigned spot & give us dirty looks for needing to park our car! They throw trash & yell swears.Several Units with 6 plus people in 2 bed! All the nice people moved out fast! I complained to management several times. She acts nice but does nothing & I think she is telling residents that we complained. Now the parents same ones who party all nite are shutting off our power through the box outside! Once at 1am. What should I do? Help!!!!

KatieAnn81

Asked by KatieAnn81 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Call the cops.

If they shut off your power, call the police.
    If they are partying after 9pm call the police.
    If you see the kids throwing items at cars, call the police.

Just keep calling......and save up to move out!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I agree, call the cops each and every time, tell them you need to be anon, because you are worried of retribution.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• HI guys. I have called the police twice. Once when the kids threw huge grapefruits at our car as we were driving into the complex and another time when one of the drunken people partying came up to our door and was yelling at 4am. The cops knocked on our door after even though I asked them to be anonymous. They were very loud too so everyone could hear. I am now scared if I call again they will do the same and make us even more of targets! Should I write a formal letter of complaints and say if the manager doesn't fix them I wish to move? I know the manager is telling the residents we complain even though it should be kept confidential. I am thinking of going this route so she can not lie that she is unaware of problems if things escalate. Thanks for the responses. I am very protective of my babies so people shutting of my power when they know little ones are inside infuriates me
    KatieAnn81

Comment by KatieAnn81 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Why can't you move?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I'd step up calling the cops, not back off they are trying to intimidate you bc they know they are breaking the law. The only way to get them to move on is to make it totally uncomfortable for them. Every time you call the cops tell them you will come down the next day to file a complaint but you will not answer your door as it makes you more of a target. Go down to the police station and report everything. Have them make a record. If you constantly bug them they will be more aggressive with the neighbors. Also does apartment take section 8? If so, go report all of this to them. They can lean on owners or they'll lose their subsidies.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I can't move because we are on a lease until February and we are saving money now for moving costs, deposits ect. I don't think that they take section 8 but I will check. TY. I do notice that everyone who used to live here worked during the day but since we have a new manager & new tenants it seems like a lot more people just hanging out outside smoking & what not during the day. My direct neighbors are one of the ones who shut the power off on us. They have 5 kids & 2-3 adults living there. Their children are some of the loudest too. I know kids need to play but it shouldn't be in the parking lot. They skateboard, bike and site where cars are coming in and out parking. Isn't this breaking some law? Not to mention the complex has a park & pool area they can play plus we have a nice large park right across the street! The dad has started to blare his base all day/night also for intimidation. I reported to manager & no change
    KatieAnn81

Comment by KatieAnn81 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I agree with the others, keep calling the police, eventually the police will see them doing something and they will get in trouble.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Call code enforcement, too. 6 people in a 2 bedroom apartment is likely a violation.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Do you call the police? Most cities have ordinances.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Keep calling the cop and move as soon as possible .

Answer by louise2 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2013