Call me crazy... (daycare)

So my daughter, 4 months, just started at an AT HOME daycare on Monday. The lady seems really nice-- so as i was dropping her off for the first time, we were going over some ground rules. One of them being about using paper towels instead of wipes. She asked if she could use wipes and i politely said that i prefer that she doesnt because my little one tends to get more red and rashy when wipes are used. She agreed to only use paper towels.

Here comes the crazy part--

I was wondering if she really did use wipes or not, because my daughter has been getting more and more red... so i did a little tests. On the first paper towel - i put a little tear in it. That way, if she used it, THAT paper towel wouldn't be there- and if she didn't use it, well then it would still be there.

I checked the role yesterday, it's never been used. I'm going to ask her if she's been using wipes and if she lies--

what would you do?

tbear2008

Asked by tbear2008 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well this is for the health of your daughter and it is your daughter your rules i mean if wipes breaks her out than she may have an allergie to them i would ask her and if she lies tell her what you did and that you know she didnt use paper towels like you suggested and then tell her bye bye jmo
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i agree w/ the pp ask her if she denies it tll her what you did and the find a new daycare my DD is sensitive 2 and i had to improvise as well although i bought washclots at the dollar store bc the were softer and could be washed if it was just a little #2 or a #1
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 1:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I run an in-home daycare and I follow the parents rules very carefully. They are paying me to take care of their kids the way that they would. I have one parent who prefers paper towels and it's not a difficult request. If you can prove that she is not using the paper towels I would confront her about it and if she lies I would try to find another sitter. You can use her until you can find someone else. Rashes make the little one unhappy and if you can prevent it you should. She is not respecting you and you are paying her for a job that she is not doing to your standards. Good Luck!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 1:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If she won;t respect your wishes on something so easy as what to wipe her with then I would assume she isn't listening on other things as well. I would just drop her.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 1:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Thank you so much you guys! That's how I feel and sometimes I don't know if I'm being over protective or just plain Crazy. My sister thought it was crazy and stupid-- but then again she's not a mom. I mean, my main concern is if she denies it. If she lies about something so simple like that, then I definitely can't trust her. If she is honest, I will give her another chance and do the paper towel thing again-- and not tell her about the little trick. :)
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• yea that's a good point-- i was just thinking that as well.

Her 10 month daughter is really sick with a nasty cough... and so she says that she will keep them separated--- how do i know she'll really do it??
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Before you go accusing her. Make sure she is just not using her own papertowels. Maybe it's easier for her to jsut use that rather than dig through your diaper bag?
    mama-in-love

Answer by mama-in-love at 1:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yea I didn't consider that- but my daughter's little bum is red and irritated - and its the same thing that happens when I use wipes.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I run a home daycare and I can honestly say that I would never go against a parents wishes. On the other hand I would refuse to use paper towels when wiping after a poopy diaper. I had to do that for a short while when I was a nanny and I couldn't stand it. It didn't work nearly as well as wipes did and I always ended up with feces on my hands. If she doesn't like using paper towels then she should just be honest with you and tell you. If she is hiding it then there is no telling what else she will keep from you.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I totally agree-- does that mean I have to ask her for her to tell me, or she should just tell me off the bat. Should I ask before I drop her off today or after?
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009