How do your kids do with spicy food?

Normally DS loves it - hotter the better. Tonight he accidentally ate the pepper in his governor's chicken. He's not loving that so much. So far he's had milk, ice cream, bread and Pepto. It actually reduced him to tears, not the this is so hot my eyes are watering tears, but the omfg I'm in pain tears from his mouth burning.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• My one year old loves the heck out of JalapeƱo Cheetos and will gulp water in between Cheetos but he still loves them. My oldest hates anything with even the hint of spice.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• DS 9 LOVES it. He will dip almost anything in to mayo with some sriracha mixed in it. His tuna salad has to have sriracha in it as well. DD 5 HATES it. If it is even smells like it might be spicy she will not touch it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• DD, 6, is OK with moderate spiciness. She'll need something sweet to drink, but she'll keep eating in between her gulps of drink.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• They're ok. They're all starting to tolerate a little spicier than they used to.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• My son is a spicy wimp like I am. Pico de gallo is too spicy for us. My daughter is like her Daddy: the hotter the better. When she was 2 she'd drink the salsa straight out of the bowl at Mexican restaurants.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• The 12 year old and the 2 year old grand hids love spicy food.
    The 5 week old not so much lol
    My two kids both like it but since I can not eat peppers they did not eat much of those when they were young but lots of other spices.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• They like spicy/hot food. I wish I had their tolerance, it would have been nice when my GM would make me eat hot sauce for saying something bad lol
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• My kids don't eat nearly as much spicy food as I did when I was their age. It's kind of sad, really. All of my memories of making tamales for Christmas, and roasting and peeling chili every fall, and the big freezer in the back corner of my grandma's kitchen bursting at the seams with enough red and green chili for the upcoming year, my daughter won't have similar experiences.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• My kids are pansy's, just like me.

Ironically, our now 8 year old, before we found out she was allergic to EVERYTHING, would sit down with her daddy and scarf down some flaming hot cheetos. She was around 3 or 4 years old at the time.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• DS loves spicy. He will eat anything if we put hot sauce on it (sorta like how many kids are with ketchup). A couple months ago, we had hot Italian sausages, and his eyes start watering. I ask if he's ok and he nods saying "so spicy!" I ask if it's too spicy and he nods, so I tell him it's OK to put it aside. Then he says "but I LIKE it!"

DD likes a little spicy, but not the way her brother does.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2013